Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sun 18-Jan-15 11:10:59
Print Post

HG612 and upload speed.

[link to this post]

Hi.
I've noticed an odd occurance regarding upload speed.
Before the 13th of Jan I was getting a healthy 18-18.5Mbit upload on TBB speedtest or speedtest.net
I noticed a connection drop @ 1.30am on the 13th and since then...upload has barely got past 17Mbit as can be seen in the below pic.

http://i.imgur.com/gUP1EdN.png

Ok, I know that 1-1.5Mbit when you still get 17 isn't a huge amound but I thought it odd. So on saturday I decided to unlock the HG612 to have a look at my linestats (latest pastebin'd below) which also had the great side effect of being able to turn the LEDs on the modem off laugh Thanks Huawei! Anyways, looking at the linestats confused me even more on the issue. Looking at it my connection should be going like the clappers but there's that odd drop of 1-1.5Mbit upload actual throughput where sync has stayed maxed.

http://pastebin.com/xvrQ911b

So on a whim (and based on a suggestion by RobertoS) I turned off QoS on the modem. Suddenly the upload is back to where it was before and more.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14215...

Which again strikes me as odd. I'd have thought QoS would have always been active on the modem since install and that option wouldn't change, I can't imagine QoS suddenly taking effect after a week of service? I can't however find any other explanation for the spiriting away of 1-1.5Mbit upload throughput. Trying to figure it out I've tried a second PC running Intel rather than Realtek NIC, I've tried a Billion 7800N to rule out my new Asus router (as well as turning NAT acceleration off on the Asus), I've connected my PC directly to the 7800N to rule out my Netgear GS108 switch that I always use...and it all had the same results.

So other than QoS I cannot seem to figure out where the loss of upload came from other than QoS but that doesnt make sense to affect it after a full week.

Any ideas? smile

*Edit*
One thing I have noticed on the stats is the high RS value on the upload with 0 on the download. Would that contribute to a reduction of upload throughput? RSCorr on the upload is currently 97 after about 23 hours which doesnt seem excessive itself.

Counters
Path 0
OHF: 48326041 3224744
OHFErr: 24 23
RS: 0 3443396
RSCorr: 0 97
RSUnCorr: 0 0

Currently Plusnet "80/20" FTTC...Not overly impressed at the moment :|

Edited by NBK (Sun 18-Jan-15 11:38:33)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 18-Jan-15 11:19:48
Print Post

Re: HG612 and upload speed.

[re: NBK] [link to this post]

Maybe when Openreach introduced G.INP?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Jan-15 15:02:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ahhhh! (And Aargh!)

Is the 13th when you think G.INP was implemented, and widely? The reason I ask, off topic but close, is that about 01:30 on the 13th my latency went up for no apparent reason, no re-sync, by 3-4ms and has remained steady as a rock since.

Unlike what is reported in this post I don't have the G.INP Bearer 1 data showing. That I think is a Billion VDSL Router of some sort whereas I'm on an HG612.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sun 18-Jan-15 15:48:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So you had something happen @ 1.30 for no reason on the 13th, the exact same time I lost 1-1.5Mbit on my upload...I lost connections but the router and modem didnt...that's very strange

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Jan-15 15:56:07
Print Post

That's why I said it was close to the topic smile. I haven't been monitoring speed unfortunately.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sun 18-Jan-15 15:57:43
Print Post

I'd just be curious to see if your current TBB test matches your signature...
Also I think you're in the same general area as me so that might be where a coincidence occurs (although I'm a northerner and I think you're a southerner? wink)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Jan-15 16:07:53
Print Post

Just rebooted the HG612 modem to see if there was any change to the information displayed. There isn't, apart from the expected small changes to the connection stats. I've gone from 57095/14832 to 56459/14996. Considering the time of day and that my downstream noise margin went from 5.9dB to 6.3dB that looks like no change. I'll do it again nearer mid-day if I remember.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Jan-15 16:09:49
Print Post

I keep a check on my sync - unchanged for 57 days or something until between my two posts previous to this one. tongue

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sun 18-Jan-15 16:11:11
Print Post

Seemingly though sync speed isn't causing the change since mine maxed out yet throughput mysteriously dropped...I reckon I could have possibly been in the 19's if I'd turned off QoS before tuesday

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Jan-15 16:21:04
Print Post

My latency has dropped a few ms, but I expect that is due to the change of Plusnet Gateway from ptw-ag03 to pcl-ag02. The ptw range are always a bit high latency for me.

Where do you class "northerner" begins?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to