Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User krisk7
(newbie) Mon 02-Feb-15 06:20:58
Print Post

BT FTTC - HG612 Unlocked + Netgear N900 router help!

[link to this post]

I'm having difficulty getting the Netgear N900 WNDR4500 to establish an internet connection.

On the unlocked GUI HG612 I have:

PPPOE enabled connection.

Username = bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password = BT

TR069 (BT agent) removed

On the Netgear I have given the router a IP address of 192.168.1.2 and DHCP starting from 192.168.1.3

This is because the HG612 has a default address of 192.168.1.1, which originally conflicts with the default address of the Netgear Router.

I have connected the WAN Ethernet cable to the Internet port on the router and to the HG612's LAN 1, the second cable is going from the router to LAN 2, which I can access the HG612 GUI and the Router GUI at the same time.

However, when trying to setup a internet connection, the Netgear fails every time. I have tried the wizard and manual settings with and without the username and password in the Netgear GUI.

I'm I missing something to enable a connection? Really stuck at the moment and tried with what knowledge I have with networking as it's very basic.

Thanks.

Edited by krisk7 (Mon 02-Feb-15 06:23:00)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Feb-15 08:58:22
Print Post

Re: BT FTTC - HG612 Unlocked + Netgear N900 router help!

[re: krisk7] [link to this post]

Description of ethernet cables sounds wrong.

What is lan side ip range of netgear when on its own.

Sounds like hg612 is running in router mode, simpler to use it as a dumb modem and the netgear to handle the pppoe side

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Feb-15 12:44:22
Print Post

As MrSaffron says in a way.

You should have left the HG612 in bridge mode and put the username and (any) password in the Netgear.

Disabling the TR069 in the HG612 is fine. Disabling QoS in it will give a higher sync.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.3Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Feb-15 12:46:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The Ethernet cabling is fine Andrew smile. That's the standard setup (any free LAN port on the router) to give access to the modem throughout the LAN.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.3Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 02-Feb-15 12:46:59)

Standard User krisk7
(newbie) Mon 02-Feb-15 14:50:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Description of ethernet cables sounds wrong.

What is lan side ip range of netgear when on its own.

Sounds like hg612 is running in router mode, simpler to use it as a dumb modem and the netgear to handle the pppoe side

The IP range of the router starts at:

192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.254

That is what I want to do, is have the hg612 as a modem and have the netgear handle the rest. So basically, have the hg612 bridged by default? as it is set to bridge by defaults and then enter the username and password on the netgear using the PPPOE option?

I was under the impression that PPPOE was enabled on the hg612, as that is what a few suggested but I'm new to all this, so bear with me:).

This is what I did:

http://forums.broadband-finder.info/fibre/t/4109999-...

So that be why its not working as the hg612 is acting like a router?

Thanks

Edited by krisk7 (Mon 02-Feb-15 16:08:36)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 02-Feb-15 21:32:21
Print Post

2 observations. That link is to the rip-off copy site. Good thread of mine, wasn't it ?

This is the proper link http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4109217-hua...

It would be better for you to use it as a modem (bridge). I was just looking for a one-box solution at the time.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 02-Feb-15 21:34:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Feb-15 23:18:06
Print Post

Yes. As I said earlier.

And as BatBoy says re the thread you followed.

Print Thread

Jump to