Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hopkapi
(regular) Sat 07-Mar-15 13:43:27
Print Post

Can I go faster?

[link to this post]

I'm on ADSL2+ with Plusnet and just got an unlocked HG612 to replace the old unlocked Sky modem/router I was bridging through. Considering I live quite close to the exchange (8.5dB attenuation), I was wondering if my speeds are as good as they can get, or if something might be slightly amiss:

HG612 is running SP08, QOS is disabled, atm bridged to an Airport Extreme doing PPPoE. Apparently ptm has lower overhead (?) though it seems to be a VDSL2 only thing as I couldn't get it to work.

Downstream/Upstream:

BTW Speed Test: 17.02Mbps / 0.96Mbps
IP Profiles: 17.74 Mbps, 0.83Mbps

Attainable rate (kbit/s): 22768 / 1352
SNR margin (dB): 2.3 / 5.3
Line attenuation (dB): 8.5 / 4.7
Output power (dBmV): 20 / 12.2
Line rate (kbit/s): 20112 / 1162
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Mar-15 14:06:21
Print Post

Re: Can I go faster?

[re: hopkapi] [link to this post]

On ADSL2+ you need PPPoA not PPPoE. You also need some other settings, such as ATM. They should be in the booklet that came with your introductory booklet. (I'm assuming you got one, as in most cases it comes with the freebie router I assume you didn't want).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.8 (interleaved)/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User hopkapi
(regular) Sat 07-Mar-15 14:09:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
On ADSL2+ you need PPPoA not PPPoE. You also need some other settings, such as ATM.

I'm using the HG612 in bridged mode with another router, so unless I've missed something, PPPoA isn't an option as far as I'm aware, and as I said, I'm using ATM on the modem.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Mar-15 14:16:44
Print Post

Sorry - shoot me now!

Sorry, I completely misunderstood your opening post, as well as missing the ATM frown.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 07-Mar-15 14:22:27)

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 11-Mar-15 20:55:58
Print Post

I don't think I've ever seen such low attentuation figures. Your connection is probably as fast as it ever will be on ADSL2+. Bridging your wi-fi network will halve its speed, however.

Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so,
almost everyone gets busy on the proof. -- J.K. Galbraith
  Print Thread

Jump to