Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User igl00
(newbie) Fri 22-May-15 10:43:21
Print Post

abnormal upstream values

[link to this post]

Hi all,
I had a stable adsl connection for over 2 years with 4096/1024 Kbps downstream and upstream values and about 51to 52db/21 to 23db attenuation. then i ran into problems for about 5 months with unstable connection and attenuation reaching 57db on downstream with speed values always < 2Mb. it was finally solved after writing a long letter to regional telecom manager.
it remains stable about 2 weeks with normal values (down/up/atten) and then new problem, this time i have about 4000 kbps on downstream but upstream never reaches more than 180 kbps with strange values in column such as HEC errors, attenuation never reached before.I also have micro cuts on downstream (confirmed with my ISP), i have to pause/restart several times a download even for a 50Mb file.
here a two pictures for april/ may :
http://i.imgur.com/ho58Lqc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qAKwdAC.jpg
i cannot find any answer from isp or telecom provider technicians about meaning of these technical terms such as HEC, total cells, mux data, etc...
sorry for my english and thanks for your help
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-May-15 14:40:32
Print Post

Re: abnormal upstream values

[re: igl00] [link to this post]

It does to some degree, depend on how long the router had been in sync for when those screen shots had been taken.

Gut instinct, with all the high errors on the upstream, and the low upstream sync rate, would be a fault with the service providers DSLAM card in the exchange.

Is this line in the UK ?

p.s. Puissance de sortie sounds much nicer than output power smile

Standard User igl00
(newbie) Sat 23-May-15 09:09:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The line is in Tunisia, and depends on tunisia telecom. it is a comparable scheme to french one: copper wires are owned by telecom provider also the exchange, and many ISP are just resellers of bandwith and internet access.
about these screen shots, i have almost the same values anytime in the day.
The ISP technician told me the same thing about a problem in dslam and probably a port change is needed.
i just can't find any tutorial about the meaning of the columns (except those well known snr, rate, etc..) is there any document explaining what is HEC, total cells, RS words, etc so i can bring that with a second customer complaint to telecom provider?
i'm not convinced about field person telecom technicians saying that the problem is due to wire cross section, so i have to give solid arguments to make things move.
ps : i changed the language of router especially for the forum, which is the only one with members having advanced skills about adsl.smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-May-15 11:22:05
Print Post

There are some explanations here for UK connections, but they could be of use to you:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Sat 23-May-15 11:27:22)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-May-15 01:50:28
Print Post

With abnormal attenuations!

Your Down attn. of 63.5 dB is hitting the display limit of router and with Up attn. of 47.6 dB, I would expect the Down to be closer to 95 dB frown.

In which case the Down Rate of 4094 K would appear to be extraordinary!

Makes me suspicious of all that router's figures.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to