Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Wed 27-May-15 17:02:34
Print Post

Nuisance Calls

[link to this post]

As a regular user of the technical support forums I could not find a more suitable place to post this.

Moderators please move if inappropriate.

I have received numerous calls, daily, weekly and even at night from an outfit claiming to 'block' nuisance calls for a fee. It started months ago at £89.99 and has now been reduced to £2.99. WOW, a bargain?

They keep pestering me, even offering a 'free' call blocker. For a slight hint they seem to be based in Bournemouth

I'm registered with TPS (useless) and they claim their service is better. They operate under numerous 'guises' and even more contact numbers.

All the research I have done suggests they are scammers, only interested in getting my bank details.

Is there any way to get rid of these calls?

Rgds
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 27-May-15 17:35:32
Print Post

Re: Nuisance Calls

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

Any details - company name, directors names, telephone numbers?
Standard User dsergeant
(member) Wed 27-May-15 17:51:33
Print Post

A well know scam. There are various companies who claim to offer a service 'better' than TPS but at a cost, just do a web search. Stay well clear of them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(member) Wed 27-May-15 17:56:41
Print Post

My daughter has recently cut her nuisance calls to zero after buying a set of BT phones.
They work best if you take the CLI add-on from your telephone provider I understand.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 27-May-15 18:12:50
Print Post

[re: dsergeant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dsergeant:
A well know scam. There are various companies who claim to offer a service 'better' than TPS but at a cost, just do a web search.
I could only find this http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/news1.html
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Wed 27-May-15 18:36:45
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I'm not sure if it appropriate/legal/slanderous to post this info in a public forum.

Reverse lookup, or such that I can do, on the calling numbers gives legitimate, registered company names. They seem to have numerous numbers, all of which fail to resolve. Very sophisticated.

The only clue I can give is that the male/female callers are very polite, very grammatically correct and, I suspect well educated. They speak QRE.

Without giving too much away you could try searching on Wesse? Hous? Bournemouth, fraud and see what that yields.

I have no idea how they found enough information to attack my debit card or my ex-directory number but they did. Needless to say the card is now cancelled and my bank will give a refund, subject to further information.

If one of the moderators has better look-up capabilities I can PM a number.
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Wed 27-May-15 18:37:51
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yep... been there done that.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-May-15 18:46:14
Print Post

There was a piece about call blocker nuisance calls on yesterday's BBC You and Yours, which should still be accessible via the BBC Radio 4 web site. The piece featured a interview with the Information Commissioner.

Standard User AdrianPH
(newbie) Wed 27-May-15 18:54:56
Print Post

I was inundated with calls almost 24/7, the TPS is used by rogues as it gives them a nice list of known live numbers.

@ 3 years ago I bought a trueCall unit , I now never get any calls that I don't want, it is awesome.

https://www.truecall.co.uk/home.aspx

Blocker, call recorder, can list all in/out calls for evidence and bill checking ,plus answer phone all in one unit.

Black/white list numbers, intercepts and answers calls for you,numerous ways to deal with calls, you can even give blacklisted calls the number unobtainable tone, that trick gets your number off the live targets list very quickly ))

Have to say, it is the best purchase I made in years.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 27-May-15 18:57:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kaoshan:
Reverse lookup, or such that I can do, on the calling numbers gives legitimate, registered company names. They seem to have numerous numbers, all of which fail to resolve. Very sophisticated.
Uh?

If they give legitimate customer names, what is failing to resolve? Other than the fact they are presumably spoofed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to