Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Trolltamer
(regular) Sat 30-May-15 00:24:46
Print Post

HTTP Corruption

[link to this post]

Hi,

I don't know if this is the best place to put this? but I hope so....

I have 2 FTTC lines, and getting any large http downloads corrupted, when I say large normally over 1GB. I have tried various PC's with wired and wireless network interfaces, 4 different routers and adjusted MTU right down to the 500's.... still no luck, the only thing I've not tried is connecting directly to the HG612's directly which I will try tomorrow as I've only just thought of that.....

The routers I have tried are:
BT HH3
BT Business Hub 3
Netgear 3700
Netgear 4700
currently using a TP Link TL-ER6120 with load balancing.

Both lines seem to have the same result running separately but I'm assuming I can rule out cabling, network cards, PC's and routers as its happening to all devices wired or wireless?

HELP!!! its driving me nuts!!

I have a 4G dongle which I have to use for large downloads which seems to make me wonder why I need the 2 fttc lines!!

Both are BT Infinity 2 80/20 1 line has been problematic from day 1 from adsl days and that syncs at about 72mbps from time to time but sometimes at the full 80mbps the other has been flawless for the last 3 years but only really noticed the corruption for the last month or so and had 2 lines for about 3 years and never had a problem..... or never noticed it.

ANY suggestions would be very welcome!

Many thanks,

Dave
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 31-May-15 16:23:11
Print Post

Re: HTTP Corruption

[re: Trolltamer] [link to this post]

network card on the PC is starting to go faulty?

I would (in this order):

* Check the cables are correctly plugged in. I would unplug and re-plugin again
* Delete the network driver on the PC and have this reset, reinstall on PC reboot
* upgrade to the latest network driver for the network card
* Replace the network (Ethernet ?) hardware with another card.

IanD
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-May-15 16:42:36
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
network card on the PC is starting to go faulty?

I would (in this order):

* Check the cables are correctly plugged in. I would unplug and re-plugin again
* Delete the network driver on the PC and have this reset, reinstall on PC reboot
* upgrade to the latest network driver for the network card
* Replace the network (Ethernet ?) hardware with another card.

In reply to a post by Trolltamer:
Both lines seem to have the same result running separately but I'm assuming I can rule out cabling, network cards, PC's and routers as its happening to all devices wired or wireless?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-May-15 16:45:00
Print Post

If you've tried with different cables in each HG612 when you tried them individually about the only thing that comes to mind is uncorrected errors on both lines.

G.inp retransmission should sort that. If you have it already as you're on a Huawei DSLAM I'm not entirely sure.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 31-May-15 18:00:59
Print Post

Ignitionnet in the other post spotted the multiple tests.. I would take this down to a bare connection. Plug 1 of the FTTC devices into the test socket. Plug 1 of your pc's into that FTTC device and run the test. work from there. If that single router/pc combination fails, use the instructions I mentioned. If this is still failing then I suggest you look at some form of corruption on the network?. Hence my suggestion to take this back to a basic setup and build up the complexity.

Also ask a friend to do the same test. You never know it could be the file/server you are downloading from that is faulty. You could even take your laptop / router to the friend and validate that that works.

IanD
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-May-15 18:27:53
Print Post

What security software do you have installed? And is it common to everything you have tried with?

In the first instance, security software or something of that seems more likely than line/router/ISP issues..

AAISP Home::1
Standard User sfo32
(learned) Sun 31-May-15 18:54:08
Print Post

I realise it works OK on your 4G dongle but....

Have you tried a different browser (or other software package if you aren't using a browser for this)?

I know certain versions of IE had problems with large files. Maybe you are triggering a bug somehow with whatever browser/plugin/download manager combo you are using, and that it only happens under certain circumstances which somehow excludes the 4G dongle.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Jun-15 21:55:01
Print Post

any update????

AAISP Home::1
Standard User Trolltamer
(regular) Sun 06-Mar-16 22:12:15
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Sorry for the very late response!!

I have re-cabled the whole lot with new Ethernet cables, changed supplier for one of the lines as I required a static IP...........

I know have Zen and BT and I thought that might cure it so disconnected 1 line at a time and tested separately wired and wireless........ but you've guessed it still the same!

So I use my trusty 4G dongle for any large downloads or use a website that gets the corrupt parts via torrents.

I'm thinking of getting a LLU talk talk FTTC line to rule out what I think is the problem and that is BT's network. But I'm still in contract for the Zen line and work supplies the other line so would mean 3 lines coming into the house.

I have searched for many hours and not found any answers but all seem to be on BT in the UK a lot of others mainly USA posters point to modem problems so maybe its the HG612's?

Well not much of an update but that's where it is at........not a huge problem but annoying.....

Cheers,

Dave
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Mar-16 22:22:06
Print Post

To rule out VDSL modem issues I would replace the HG612 with the Draytek Vigor 130 modem and then connect the vigor direct to your pc via ppoe.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 80000/19999 kbps