Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User awbancroft
(newbie) Wed 10-Jun-15 19:04:37
Print Post

Intermittent Connection Issue

[link to this post]

Evening,

I am living in a rented house that has TalkTalk broadband, in general the connection occurs using ADSL2 and the line is capable of 8mbps. When I moved in there were constant issues with the internet and after doing a number of resets on the router it stabilised and for around four months 8mpbs was sustained.

For the past month or so the connection has been terrible, TalkTalk seemed to think it was the router and sent a new one, the issue, however, prevails. At present the downstream line rate quoted on the router config page is 1921 kbit/sec. Curiously the router seems to be choosing to connect via 'ADSL_G.dmt.bis' I'm not sure what difference this is making?

The pastebin link shows the router stats:
Router Stats

The router is connecting through the master port which has an inbuilt BT filter.

Can anyone see the reason for the low speed issues that I am having on the line?

Thanks for the help, Andy.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Jun-15 20:38:59
Print Post

Re: Intermittent Connection Issue

[re: awbancroft] [link to this post]

There is not much spare signal to noise ratio margin ('noise safety coefficient' in your statistics) in either direction. This suggests the line, as it stands, is incapable of significantly greater speeds. This is confirmed by the router's 'maximum' rates.

G.dmt.bis is ADSL2.

What is the line like for voice calls? Do you hear crackling or other noises during quiet periods?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Jun-15 01:32:05
Print Post

Re: Intermittent Connection Issue

[re: awbancroft] [link to this post]

Upstream line attenuation (dB): 33.5
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 42.2
Very unusual! Usually Down attn. ~= 2 x Up. Could indicate an 'hr dis' fault on the line (bad joint).

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to