Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aceideas
(newbie) Sun 14-Jun-15 13:23:00
Print Post

Line Speed Ok but speed test is Low

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm a newbie and am hoping that someone more enlightened reading this may be able to help!
I live rurally and so cannot get fibre and until last year managed a staggering 1Mb connection on Broadband. I moved to PLUSNET and an investigation into an issue resulted in a BT engineer paying us a visit and he completely rewired and replaced my Master Socket and we ended up getting a formidable 6Mb overnight. Fantastic for us.
In Feb we noted a very poor intermittent service that was giving us slow speeds again, between 0.02 and 1.4Mb. Reported to ISP and have had two engineer visits.
1 engineer thought it might be the router but the other (who is the BT trainer) could find no issues with their line or my setup.
The line speed test shows 8Mb but every speed test gives us the same 0.02 to 1.4Mb.
The ISP line test shows 6.6Mb.
We are now moving to BT in order to see if it gets rectified.
As for how have we tested etc. please see below.

Setup:-
Modem/Router is connected directly to Master Socket which is DSL only (Phone is split off downstream)
PC is connected via Ethernet. No other devices or wireless connected.
PC is in the same configuration as previous when we were getting 6Mb.
Have three Routers.
Original PLUSNET Thomson which BT though potentially Suspect.
New PlusNet Technicolour (daughter had a replacement provided but hers was ok in the end)
Brand New TP Link TD-W8968 (Just in case my daughter had given me a faulty one!)

I connect from the Master Socket with a brand new cable that came with the new router and have used the new Ethernet cable that also came with it to connect to my computer(s).
I always exit my Firewall/anti-virus prior to running the test as I know it interfers with BT Wholesale speed test.
I have re-booted all the equipment, including the routers, several times.
I have used my PC, My Laptop in Admin (very few applications running) and my work Laptop.

The results using any of the Routers and any of the computers are the same. Whilst the BT and PlusNet line tests say I should be getting around 6.6/7Mb the speed test shows me between 0.02 and 1.4Mb. These tests have also been seen by PlusNet and BT as I run the diagnostics which then logs the results on the BT server.

Obviously I'm pinning all my hoped on the move to BT despite PlusNet stating categorically that they do not restrict that is what we believe was happening.

Anyone seen/heard of this before or have any ideas what may be happening?
Anything that sheds light would REALLY be appreciated!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-Jun-15 14:04:45
Print Post

Re: Line Speed Ok but speed test is Low

[re: aceideas] [link to this post]

When you run the BT Wholesale test, have you ever clicked the Further Diagnostics button at the bottom of the initial results page? Please can you do so and copy/paste the contents of the downstream and upstream text boxes of results. We don't need the graphics.

Also go to your Plusnet Member Centre >> Connection settings >> Current line speed. (Mine shows "Current line speed:58 Mb")

Please post that as well.

Edit - I've just realised you have run the Further Diagnostics, but please can you still do it again and paste those two text boxes smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 14-Jun-15 14:06:44)

Standard User aceideas
(newbie) Sun 14-Jun-15 14:27:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK, I've checked my PlusNet Member Centre and it does not give me a current line speed. Just a Bandwith speed test link. When I run that I get:
Dowload 2599kbs and Upload of 328kbs
(Same with and without Frirewall)

BTW Diagnostics I have run again and the results are:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.05 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps

Interestingly I clicked on the High Speed Broadband in my Member centre and it tells me that there is no estimate in my account but my current line speed is 7.15Mb

Edited by aceideas (Sun 14-Jun-15 14:32:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Jun-15 14:30:43
Print Post

Can you post the router line stats as well (don't use a wireless connection):-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

plusnet user
Standard User aceideas
(newbie) Sun 14-Jun-15 14:38:06
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

All of the testing I do is with an Ethernet.
I think this is what you are looking for, if not please tell me what/where I need to go.

DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 2:54:38

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8.128

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 20,59 / 112,91

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,1 / 20,0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,5 / 40,0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,0 / 6,1

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4 / -

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2.527

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 7

HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 7 / 167

Edited by aceideas (Sun 14-Jun-15 14:40:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Jun-15 14:48:38
Print Post

Are speed test results better at quiet times eg 7am to 1pm in the week

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User aceideas
(newbie) Sun 14-Jun-15 14:52:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No,
I spent sometime over the last 4 months trying to see if there was a pattern. So I tested during both peak and off-peak and pretty much all through the 24hr day.
There were slight variations when you would expect during times of heavy traffic but general it was consistently around the 0.8 to 1.1Mb the highest I ever got to was about 1.7Mb and the lowest during one of the tests (but firewall on) was 0.02Mb.
Standard User aceideas
(newbie) Sun 14-Jun-15 14:57:44
Print Post

It's probably worth me commenting that whilst all the indications from BT and PlusNet are that my line speed is good (at least for me) and my Router is synching pretty quickly which is also indicating that the line is good up to the Router, the actual performance is in line with the Speed test results.

I struggle to download emails with photographs and as for catch-up TV............Forget it unless you like watching the buffering symbol!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-Jun-15 17:50:29
Print Post

Sorry, yes, I accidentally missed out the " >> High speed broadband " bit frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57821/14115kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Jun-15 18:11:48
Print Post

For elimination purposes do you still have high sync and poor throughput if you connect the router to the TEST socket within the NTE5 master socket (if you have that type)?

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-...

plusnet user
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to