Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mtrueman
(newbie) Sun 21-Jun-15 17:38:53
Print Post

ADSL drops when picking up or hanging up phone

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have recently had a BT engineer out to look at an issue that i reported to plusnet whereby my adsl kept losing sync repeatedly and causing my IPProfile to drop. He stuck a thingy in the master socket (filtered faceplate) and said that the issue was within 3m so the faceplate was faulty. He replaced the faceplate and now i've noticed that my adsl loses sync when the phone is picked up or hung up. The adsl re-syncs and works fine while someone is on the phone - its only when picked up or hung up.

Not sure why the problem has started manifesting itself now in this way, previously it seemed random (although i did have an inclination it was due to wet weather). I used to happily sync at 7.5mb but for the last year i've been having these issues and im lucky to get a stable 4mb nowadays.

Line stats from my router are as follows.

Current Rate (Kbps) 448 3744
Max Rate (Kbps) 868 3744
SNR Margin (dB) 14 9.8
Line Attenuation (dB) 14.5 29.8
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

I was wondering if there is an obvious reason why this might be occuring and what i can say to plusnet to press them into getting an engineer to look at a specific issue.

Cheers

Mark
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Jun-15 19:28:18
Print Post

Re: ADSL drops when picking up or hanging up phone

[re: mtrueman] [link to this post]

Check whether the same thing happens when the removeable part of the face plate is removed and using just a microfilter for the phone and modem.

Most likely a High Resistance fault that can be a pain to pin down, i.e. a dodgy joint that when the current changes from picking up/putting down the phone creates a noise burst that breaks the ADSL for a short time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mtrueman
(newbie) Mon 22-Jun-15 20:56:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OK,so i got a new microfilter, albeit a cheap one from tesco and tried it out tonight. Exactly the same issue, sync drops when phone is picked up. Also tonight it doesnt hold sync while someone is on the phone.

Its extremely frustrating as now plusnet seem to be ignoring me with regards to the questions on their website.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mtrueman
(newbie) Mon 22-Jun-15 22:00:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I also just did the bt line test at

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faul...

and my adsl sync drops. Is that normal?
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Jun-15 22:19:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by mtrueman:
and my adsl sync drops. Is that normal?

From the page:
The test will fail if you're on the phone when we try to carry out the test.

Your broadband connection may be disrupted during the test.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-15 22:24:16
Print Post

The first engineer didn't fix the fault, simple as that.

Get Plusnet to raise an SFI task with Openreach, and hope they send a better engineer this time.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-15 22:32:15
Print Post

Silly question but did you try a different phone?

AAISP Home::1
Standard User mtrueman
(newbie) Fri 26-Jun-15 20:27:27
Print Post

A second engineer came out and found a fault on the line almost straight away. He changed a cable out in one of the boxes in the street and it seems more stable now. SNR has doubled compared to previous.

Current Rate (Kbps) 448 4384
Max Rate (Kbps) 944 4640
SNR Margin (dB) 16 19.8
Line Attenuation (dB) 17 33.7
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

Just waiting for plusnet to reset the line and we will see how things are. Im pretty sure that the 19.8 downstream SNR is pretty good compared to the 8 i had before.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Jun-15 22:07:02
Print Post

You should get a higher sync rate when the SNR Margin is reset to the default 6dB, whether it stays at that depends on how fault free and stable the line is.

SNR and SNR Margin are not the same thing, have a read of this when you've time:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

plusnet user
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 27-Jun-15 01:14:17
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

I prefer my explanation, written (I think) before hers. tongue

The most relevant part (on ADSLx) is:-
Given for example an SNR of 40dB then that might allow a connection speed of perhaps 6000kbps. The trouble is that as soon as the noise increases for any reason, and it varies almost all the time, then that connection speed would no longer be possible so the connection is lost. The modem/router then reconnects at a lower speed commensurate with the higher noise level (lower SNR).

That would be a pain in the neck. This is where the SNRM comes into play.

Taking the default (target) value of 6dB applied by most ISPs, instead of the exchange equipment and the modem/router negotiating a speed on the basis of an SNR of 40dB they work on the basis of 40dB - 6dB = 34dB and work out what speed that will support.

As a result the SNR can fall (in theory) by 6dB to 34dB and the connection holds. The SNRM will fall in line with this, from 6dB to 0dB. The figure shown by your modem/router is not doing anything, it is just telling you how things have changed since you connected.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to