Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(member) Sun 28-Jun-15 11:25:02
Print Post

Interpreting BQM

[link to this post]

My BQM shows a minimum latency of around 16ms which is in line with various tracerts and other tests I've run. However I also see constant blocks of multiple spike of around 100ms+ with a tiny rise in my average latency so the blue is barely discernible and still way below 20ms. Is there any other way of interpreting this other than my router constantly having brief moments of being slow to respond. Is it something I can track down or should I just ignore it?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Jun-15 12:45:51
Print Post

Re: Interpreting BQM

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

One presumes you are using your connection sometimes? A ping while fetching a web page will be delayed slightly hence the blue and yellow.

So the question is this, when is your connection totally idle with all computers and phones turned off and just the router on?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 28-Jun-15 13:47:11
Print Post

Are you still on Plusnet ADSL (Max)? (From 2004)?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(member) Sun 28-Jun-15 16:40:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
So the question is this, when is your connection totally idle with all computers and phones turned off and just the router on?

Honest answer to that is that I don't know but I imagine never.
Connected items are Laptop switched off at night, 2 x Iphones both on when we are in, 1 Ipad always on, Sky Box always on and Smart TV on standby at night. When I get ready for bed tonight I'll power down my SkyBox and TV and switch the Iphones and Ipad wi-fi off and see what the difference is.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Sun 28-Jun-15 16:44:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are you still on Plusnet ADSL (Max)? (From 2004)?

8^) - No FTTC - I've just been into my profile and changed it. A Speed Test which is pretty much my average result.

p.s. 40/20 that is and BTW says:-
Download speedachieved during the test was - 35.84 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 25.93 Mbps-37.05 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 37.05 Mbps

Edited by longedge (Sun 28-Jun-15 18:32:42)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 28-Jun-15 17:26:45
Print Post

That's an excellently-shaped speed test.

Here's your working link. You need to pick up the Direct link not the IMG one. If you click on that result in your Main Site Profile it comes up showing the graph with the link beneath it.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 28-Jun-15 17:28:42)

Standard User longedge
(committed) Mon 29-Jun-15 06:51:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It made no difference closing everything down. I had a look at the 'attached devices' page for my router whilst I first switched the Iphones, Ipad and Printer off which were all on WiFi. They disappeared one by one from the list until the wireless section was empty. I then disconnected the patch cables from the TV and Sky Box which left my laptop as the only device shown on the list. Then I switched the laptop off and went to bed.

I just switched the laptop back on and it is the only device currently attached to the router and the router log shows the time that DHCP gave out the IP (didn't realise until now that the router is on GMT not BST)

As I said, this hasn't helped - BQM - so is it my router (netgear R6250) or something external? The spikes seem to have a recurring pattern of sudden peaks which reduce before the next lot.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Fri 03-Jul-15 08:52:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's an excellently-shaped speed test

Wish it was always like that! Last night was diabolical, especially single threaded.

I've currently hopped to pcl-ag07 where my speed is better but latency is currently showing at 48.75 on BTW checker.

Time to give it a rest and stop fiddling I think. Just learn to wait a few seconds longer for things to load.
  Print Thread

Jump to