Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Jun-15 09:16:40
Print Post

Heat and NGA's

[link to this post]

So the south east is being cooked this week with this morning already proving quiet warm...

I know that the Virgin network locally always end up struggling or going down due to amplifiers and various other equipment overheating once temperatures hit 23-24... so they will probably be wrecked after Wednesday's 33 degrees c...

I wonder how the NGA's will cope... specially mine which will be in direct sunlight as we speak and for most of the day.

WBC 4400/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3
FTTC 66000/19999 @ 450m > HG612 > Asus RT-AC87U BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Jun-15 09:42:24
Print Post

Re: Heat and NGA's

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

First ones got stood in 2009 so if they were to be cooked would have expected it to happen already.

Cabs getting run over by cars seems a more common issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Jun-15 10:01:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Suppose they would of been manufacture to take a range of temperatures and as there not that old they might be working correctly.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Jun-15 10:05:57
Print Post

The FTTC cabinets have fan trays in them to keep them cool.

Many Virgin cabinets do not; the kit inside them rarely overheads normally however there can be issues with VM. This is in a large part this is due to that the kit inside the cabinets was really intended to go on top of utility poles, not live in cabinets, so it can de denied natural airflow.

Virgin telco cabinets are all cooled, different story for the cable network.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Jun-15 10:18:52
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Yes I'm aware of the layout of FTTC cabs... It will be nice too see the difference....

This time last year this house relied "heavily" on mobile broadband & tethering to keep home office connected...

21 degrees c saw TV start breaking up and net would start becoming a bit intermittent by 23c complete network drop for 5 mins then back for seconds then gone again... 25c local node shut down.

Other issue with Virgin network locally was because they where trying to get air into the cabs they got left open and then rain would flood them and now a lot of water damage to the taps and phone connections, though some where replaced recently but main issues are the node and amps overheating.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 30-Jun-15 15:30:13
Print Post

And air vents.

The ex-Nynex node cabinets here do not have vents. There is a noticeable humming noise from them however.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Jun-15 15:35:09
Print Post

Then you knew the answer to your own question.

They will cope fine just as they have in previous years bar one ECI issue which has been resolved.
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Jun-15 15:57:42
Print Post

Ironically, after seeing this post, I checked my router (remotely, from work).

I've had 8 disconnections in the last hour, and 11 in the past 24 hours!

More likely to be the heat affecting the copper though I'd have though. Usually a fast and stable line.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jul-15 09:38:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think thats the ones in use here too https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.105194,-0.199409,3...

Normally its hums away around the clock specially in the evenings but when I left for work yesterday at 3PM it was shutdown.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jul-15 09:42:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Then you knew the answer to your own question.

They will cope fine just as they have in previous years bar one ECI issue which has been resolved.

Not really, No!

I knew the cabinets had a fan system in it, but then so does Virgin's and thats been a lot of use over the years and now...

The info about their only being one known issue and it being resolved is appreciated though.

Thanks smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to