Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User craigloon
(newbie) Wed 01-Jul-15 23:36:40
Print Post

Bufferbloat

[link to this post]

I apparently have buffer bloat. This sounds painful. Is there owt can be done about it?

Modem/router is a Zyxel VMG8324. Sync speeds are just shy of 80/20, while throughput on ethernet connection to router is circa 73/15 and variable for wifi clients.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Jul-15 00:14:33
Print Post

Re: Bufferbloat

[re: craigloon] [link to this post]

If you want to ensure downloads are not slowed down when uploading a lot and vice versa then its do things like implement QoS on the router.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User craigloon
(newbie) Thu 02-Jul-15 10:16:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks! The router interface tells me QoS is enabled, so I guess its doing its thing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Jul-15 10:51:10
Print Post

Depends some do and some don't

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html should report grade A for both download and upload if the QoS is doing its job.

If your QoS control has a bandwidth input you might find reducing the figure by 5-10% will be enough to help, but as I've said this is only really an issue if you have multiple people using the connection and you need to ensure things like VoIP are not affected by large downloads.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User craigloon
(newbie) Thu 02-Jul-15 11:34:03
Print Post

I'm getting A on down and B on up with ethernet on the Zyxel router. Latency 38 ms
A on down and A on up if I connect with Wifi from the Zyxel router. Latency 66ms
A on down and C on up with Wifi from from an Apple Extreme router running as a separate network off the Zyxel router. Latency 46 ms

QoS is enabled on the Zyxel. Settings allow WAN Managed Upstream Bandwidth and LAN Managed Downstream Bandwidth to be assigned manually, but are currently empty. If left empty, the router sets bandwidth at 95% of the WAN interface's (DSL portís) actual upstream transmission speed and the maximum of the LAN interface's maximum supported connection speed. DSL rate is RX: 79,987, TX: 19,999 Kbps. So if I were to manually assign the downstream and upstream bandwidths, what should these be to get the best performance?

The QoS settings also have a dropdown to set Traffic Priority by: None, Ethernet Priority, IP Precedence or Packet Length. None is ticked by default. Which is best?

Thanks again!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Jul-15 11:54:51
Print Post

As you are getting A and B then I would not worry at all then when using the zyxel

Standard User craigloon
(newbie) Thu 02-Jul-15 11:56:01
Print Post

Great. much appreciated!
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Jul-15 12:05:32
Print Post

I'm getting F's on both down and up using ethernet? ping is 18ms?

WBC 4400/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3
FTTC 66000/19999 @ 450m > HG612 > Asus RT-AC87U BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Jul-15 13:26:44
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Which means latency is six times your usual when connection is uploading or downloading

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Jul-15 13:29:10
Print Post

Is this something I can fix or is it something that I might as well give up on now?

WBC 4400/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3
FTTC 66000/19999 @ 450m > HG612 > Asus RT-AC87U BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to