Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Xnbz
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-15 16:32:14
Print Post

Update on ADSL 2+ ISSUES

[link to this post]

Alright so i made a thread earlier about my low noise margins.

I used to get 10-13 noise margin with 35 attenuation a few hours ago.

Now i found a new modem, i am using it, it has been very good for me, but, its still now solved my problem.

Now i get 19 attenuation, there is certainly room for some speed upgrades, BUT frown SOMEHOW this new modem has increased my attenuation to 45!!!!

I dont know how this is possible, i thought actuation is based on your line distance, someone help, i wanna get some upgrade to my 6 mb connection, the noise margin is currently allowing me to do so but now the actuation is holding me back
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jul-15 16:36:36
Print Post

Re: Update on ADSL 2+ ISSUES

[re: Xnbz] [link to this post]

Things seem a little mixed up in your post.

Can you post the actual speed, noise margin and attenuation figures? Without all of them together it is difficult to give any useful comment as they are interdependent.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 16-Jul-15 17:06:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Xnbz:
Alright so i made a thread earlier about my low noise margins.
Where is the earlier thread?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Xnbz
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-15 18:18:11
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Speed 6 MB
Attenuation: 44 With new modem 34 With old modem
SNR: 17 With new modem 10-13 with old modem

So the quality of the line has increased with th new modem but there is no margin to go anywhere higher than my current 6 mb, which is slow for my means.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jul-15 19:17:19
Print Post

You say a modem but do you mean your ISPs router or are you using a separate modem and router combination?

What make of router are you using and who is your ISP?

Can you give the full line stats > http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Best to get line stats from the TEST socket within the mastersocket and using a wired connection (ethernet cable from PC to router).

plusnet user
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Jul-15 08:43:53
Print Post

Why do you say there is "no margin". There is 17dB SNR - that means on a normal line you have a spare 11dB that could be used by DLM to increase speed - which is a fair chunk and could make quite a difference.

Ideally we need the SNR directly after a reconnect as that would tell us what the target SNR is - it appears that the target SNR has gone up quite significantly so it could be the line has instability issues.

As far as attenuation goes different routers/modems measure differently so it may not be that relevant although that is quite a big difference.
  Print Thread

Jump to