Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bearybear
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-15 20:04:48
Print Post

Help with reading BQM

[link to this post]

Can anyone help interpret my BQM?

Here's a snapshot from now (16Jul2015):

My Broadband Ping

and here is the live version:

My Broadband Ping

The red spikes happen to coincide with when I lag and usually die in the computer game League of Legends but the red spikes appear on the BQM even when no device is connected to the internet. I've got VM broadband and have a post on their forum:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/League-o...

But to me, it doesn't seem like they are considering the packet loss as a serious issue. Any help or guidance will be appreciated, doing trace routes seems pretty pointless because I only lag for about 3 seconds which is a small window to catch the crazy ping, I can run WinMTR if anyone is interested. Thanks.
Standard User bearybear
(newbie) Sun 26-Jul-15 11:46:53
Print Post

Re: Help with reading BQM

[re: bearybear] [link to this post]

bump
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jul-15 12:18:08
Print Post

Both links point to live copy of BQM

Suspect it is the shared nature of the cable network (DOCSIS) and the fact that others usage will have an impact on your latency too.

Did you do a LOT with your connection between 7:15pm and 11pm (GMT) last night, if not they the yellow and blue is because everyone else in your area is doing a lot and this would make gaming a real problem.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bearybear
(newbie) Sun 26-Jul-15 16:23:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying, yes last night's BQM isn't the best example because two users in the house were streaming. Here's a better example BQM of a typical 24 hours from a few days ago:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/ad658b270c4...

It's the red spikes that have me concerned, is it normal to get packet loss like this?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jul-15 17:02:58
Print Post

Normal no.

As the Virgin superhubs are known to behave oddly with ping somethings

a) Reboot the hub
b) Verify the packet loss with some outbound pinging too

Looking across the range of VM BQM people are running none I could spot quickly from a small sample showed what looks like the same pattern. Some have worse peak time behaviour though and some better.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to