Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Toonlass
(newbie) Tue 25-Aug-15 09:01:59
Print Post

Help needed with next step away from BT!

[link to this post]

Hello
Hoping to get some advice as we switch away from BT. We live in rural Kent and get 2.4MPS on a good day - with dropout issues - only 2 adults using it.
Fed up with BT so have been researching alternatives, especially as we are 2.8km from our local exchange and appear to not be getting fibre anytime soon.
https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NDBET
I have been looking at VFast - http://www.vfast.co.uk and they tell me they do have customers in our area but not on our road. I donít want to get my hope up as trees may be an issue. Speeds unto 24mbps which I find hard to believe but have read lots of positive stuff.

We are with SKY for TV but donít believe we can get their higher speeds.
We are using a BT HH3 (3rd one as have needed replacements) and our average usage is 94GB/month but can be higher so we would like an unlimited deal though would be able to stay within any fair usage policies as its just netflix/internet radio/uploading photos to cloud (has taken 3 months to upload 15,000).

My questions are mainly - are we likely to have fibre anytime soon? (We are near Pluckley station, Kent just outside the council maps for upgrading 2017)
Is switching to wireless necessary? Can we do more in our home? New Hub etc (though i presume this wonít help with speeds)

many thanks
Alex
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 25-Aug-15 09:21:59
Print Post

Re: Help needed with next step away from BT!

[re: Toonlass] [link to this post]

Moving from BT will not improve the situation unless you go to a wireless/satellite or Virgin media product.

2.8km - is that straight line or following the cable route? I would certainly be expecting more than 2.4Mbps if that is cable length - over 5Mbps for ADSLmax or over 6Mbos for ADSL2+

Improving things at home.

Ensure the modem or hub is situated at the master and not on an extension. Minimise any other electrical equipment close by. Ensure any extension phones are taken from the filtered side of the master and that the cable runs to those are "clean" - avoiding power cables and other devices.

Get an unused (if possible) 2-wire 2700HGV which BT supplied as their business hub (not the 2701). They are extremely good on long lines and for a stable line will drop the noise margin down to 3dB. You may then be able to squeeze out a few more hundreds of kilobits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Toonlass
(newbie) Tue 25-Aug-15 09:42:08
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thank you
VFast is a wireless product hence considering.
2.8km is the straight line length.
Thank you for the tips about the hub at home - over the past few years I have tried different things to eliminate issues but without much success. We don't have any extension phones.

Has anyone got any success stories with wireless in rural areas?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 25-Aug-15 10:00:35
Print Post

I know a small team who put together a rural wireless network out in Oxfordshire - yes successful however it is very variable.

A few questions to ask or think about...

What is the network topology? One or more central base stations covering the village? Or do properties that are too far away link to an adjacent property and then daisy chain back to the base station?

How far from the base station are you?

Is it single channel from te base station or multichannel with each covering a small arc?

What is the back haul capacity and how many users?

What is the typical latency?

Are there any small woods or clumps of trees or other buildings in the way?

How high would your antenna need to be?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Aug-15 10:09:18
Print Post

What actual cabinet are you on?

Cabinet 3 which serves postcodes to the north of the station is live for FTTC and was done by Kent BDUK project.
Cabinet 2 is not in the current plans, might make it into phase 2 but you are so far from it that it won't help.

Someone 1/3rd the way between Bethersden and the station on VFast has recorded speeds of 15 Mbps down and 4.5 Mbps up via Vfast (not on maps.thinkbroadband.com) as the test was in 2014

2 to 5 Mbps is the estimated range of speeds I reckon for ADSL, so you are in the range. The key thing to assessing whether playing with different hardware is the attenuation, noise margins and actual connection speeds

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 961a
(regular) Tue 25-Aug-15 11:18:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Toonlass:
We live in rural Kent and get 2.4MPS on a good day - with dropout issues - only 2 adults using it.
... we are 2.8km from our local exchange and appear to not be getting fibre anytime soon.

We are using a BT HH3 (3rd one as have needed replacements) and our average usage is 94GB/month but can be higher so we would like an unlimited deal though would be able to stay within any fair usage policies as its just netflix/internet radio/uploading photos to cloud (has taken 3 months to upload 15,000).

Is switching to wireless necessary? Can we do more in our home? New Hub etc (though i presume this wonít help with speeds)

Firstly, I'd be interested to see if you can find out what the actual length of your line is. Assuming there is some overhead line involved it could be easy to see the length but chances are it's much longer than 2.8km. That could help determine if your speed could be improved by much

Second, you say you have dropouts. This could certainly worth fixing as it can massively contribute to low speeds. It could be a problem with the router or damp or other faults on the line to your home. Eliminate the dropouts and the speed can improve markedly. You might like to download

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/routerstatsh...

and run the programme for a couple of days and then let us know how many dropouts there are and at what time of day. Make sure your home hub is not turned off for at least a couple of days. You'll soon see the scale of any problem. It would be helpful if you could leave your computer on 24 hrs during this test but it's not essential so long as you leave the router on. Just make sure you start the router stats programme as soon as you turn your computer back on in the morning

Depending on the results it could well be worth investing in a different router

This may help explain some of the issues

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm#attenuation
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 25-Aug-15 11:23:18
Print Post

What does this checker give for your phone number? Please copy and paste the table and the line above it, but blank out your phone number. Don't worry about the table layout going a bit wonky. Delete a few heading lines, we know them by heart. Like this:-

Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxxx on Exchange STEPPING HILL is served by Cabinet 19

FTTC Range A (Clean) 60 40 16.2 9.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 50.2 30 15.8 7.2 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 4 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 4 Up to 0.5 2.5 to 6.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2 to 6 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Toonlass
(newbie) Tue 25-Aug-15 12:32:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you for all the support - I will download and start to run the dropout checker. I have run something on my iMac before which seemed not to detect dropouts though we often lose wifi to our phones. We use PS3 to stream netflix and have issues but the apple TV is better - could this be a ps3 issue then?

Thank you RobertoS - see info below:
Telephone Number xxxxxxxxx on Exchange BETHERSDEN is served by Cabinet 2
Featured Products

ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line does not have left in jumpers.
Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

It seems a little brief compared to your example but I think that is as there are less options to us. We are 'under review' on the cabinet for BT infinity but have been for about 6-8months now.

Alex
Standard User Toonlass
(newbie) Tue 25-Aug-15 12:33:50
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Is there a Mac OS version of the dropout checker you suggest?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Aug-15 12:50:09
Print Post

Is the PS3 using Ethernet or wireless?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to