Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deanobaj
(newbie) Tue 01-Sep-15 13:42:04
Print Post

Bad telephone wiring in house?

[link to this post]

We had BT Infinity installed approx 1 week ago and so far the speeds aren't as expected. Currently getting around 22mb download, 3mb upload. Expected speeds via the DSL checker are a lot higher. I understand that I'm going through the line sync process but something tells me I'm not going to get faster than what I have as it's been the same from day one.

So I'm wondering if my current phone line setup is to blame. This is my current setup:
The line from the pole outside comes into the loft and into what looks like a master socket. (This is where we had our old ADSL talktalk router for so many years as we were told this was the master socket) Obviously not an ideal place for the router to be in the loft so told Talktalk who eventually sent out a BT engineer to check it out. The engineer came round, did a bit of fiddling in the loft and said he 'bypassed' the socket in the loft to join the outside line to the internal wiring in the house. He had then created a new 'Openreach' master socket in my bedroom (which was originally a small standard socket). As Talktalk saw this as not their fault, I got a bill for 'moving the master socket' so in the hope that my speeds would get better I went along with it. Speeds were only very slightly improved but never great so I finally opted to move away from Talktalk ADSL and go with BT Infinity FTTC. My homehub 5 is now connected to the revised Openreach master socket in my bedroom (where the previous router was) however my speeds as advised above are nowhere near as expected.

So to summarise, a few years back when the BT engineer originally bypassed the original socket in the loft to join the external wiring onto my existing house wiring, is this where I am possibly losing valuable speed? What would be the best way round this?

I also have another two phone extensions (small sockets) in the house which a house phone (with a filter) is connected to one and the other has nothing connected to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 01-Sep-15 14:00:36
Print Post

Re: Bad telephone wiring in house?

[re: deanobaj] [link to this post]

First question ... Where are te extensions connected to? Are they into the front palte of te master? The back of te master, or wiring elsewhere?

Can you remove the bottom half of the front plate of the BT Master socket and plug your HH in there and see what results that gives you. And can you get a set of line stats - attenuation, SNR and sync speeds for both up and down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Sep-15 14:01:09
Print Post

Does your master socket look like the one on the left or the one on the right
BT Master Socket Size Comparison
If its the one on the right if you remove the lower half of the front to arrive at
Do the other phone sockets in the property stop working? If yes then the wiring is probably correct. If not then there is a wiring issue to be resolved.
If the other phones stop working, try the modem in the test socket that you can now see and if connection speeds are better investing in an VDSL2 faceplate will help.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Tue 01-Sep-15 15:55:30
Print Post

As somebody else has pointed out, to baseline the performance you need to see what sync speed you can achieve when all the extensions are disconnected and the easiest way to do this is to remove the front plate and plug via the test socket underneath. Then you can see what the maximum achievable sync speed is. If the extensions are causing problems, then it's relatively easy to fix them.

There is, though, an "however". I'm assuming that all the extensions are wired correctly to the back of the faceplate. If there is any extension wiring that is not connected that way (or, maybe, still to a junction box in the loft), then this might not work.

If all the extensions go back into the loft, it's not unknown (to save work) to do a "back-feed" to a junction box in the loft to avoid a lot of rewiring of extensions. Hopefully that would have been done properly (by wiring to the faceplate), but it's not guaranteed.

One test to do is, after removing the faceplate, check if you have dial-tone on any extension sockets. Of course you need to test all extensions - unused ones included. All can act as antenna for picking up interference.

Another point is that you'll want the actual line stats. Assuming you have an HH5, that means accessing the router via its IP address, hitting the "troubleshooting" tab and then, after logging in to the admin userid, going to the "helpdesk". The most useful stats are the data rate, maximum data rate, line attenuation and signal attenuation.

The line attenuation will give people some idea of what sync speed you might expect.
Standard User deanobaj
(newbie) Tue 01-Sep-15 17:28:21
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick responses and very helpful information everyone. I'm away from home now until this weekend so will check out everything upon my return.

Answers that I do know:
The master socket in the loft is the larger socket, out of the two. I plugged the router into it but it would not connect - I assume then the line from outside has then been connected straight to the internal house wiring. I did not try the test socket but will at the weekend.

The Openreach master socket in the bedroom is also a larger socket. I have not tried the test socket but will again at the weekend.

The extension sockets are smaller sockets. How these are wired up, i.e. if they go to a junction box I do not know, however I'll look around the house to try and find out where they meet.

Thanks for all assistance so far. Will take photos as well of the setup to make things as clear as possible.
Standard User deanobaj
(newbie) Tue 01-Sep-15 17:30:08
Print Post

Oh, and when the front plate was taken off the master socket in the loft, the phone from the extension was still working....
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-Sep-15 19:03:45
Print Post

Ignore the one in the loft at the moment. Doing something there may be necessary, but it's the bedroom one you need to check at first.

Was your Infinity a self-install? Most are these days. With a dangly filter and HomeHub in the bedroom?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User deanobaj
(newbie) Tue 01-Sep-15 19:35:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Certainly was a self install, mainly to save myself £50.... although I wonder now if it may have been worth paying for the engineer install with the hope that they may have sorted out the wiring? Or would they have just done what I did and plug it into the master socket in the bedroom, check there is a connection and be on their way?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-Sep-15 19:41:10
Print Post

It would have depended on it being an Openreach engineer, (good), or an Kelly's/Quinn's contractor. They tend to ignore the wiring and then you have to get an OR one out to fix it. That can be difficult.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Wed 02-Sep-15 08:54:37
Print Post

OK - that's probably good as it means it is bypassed. It's the one in the bedroom that matters. I'm guessing that all the extension wiring goes back to the loft in which case there's a lot of wire to cause interference. In its way, that's good as there's lots of potential for improvement.

Using the test socket in the bedroom master is the secret and checking it cuts off all the extensions if the front plate is removed. If it does, then improvements are relatively easy. If not, then it's trickier...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to