Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JonBradley
(regular) Tue 08-Sep-15 11:27:00
Print Post

Never ending issues with BT ADSL (and now fibre) Disconnects

[link to this post]

HI there, i'm posting this on behalf of my parents who have been having issues with their BT Broadband for many years and it's seemingly getting worse.

There issue being broadband and now fibre disconnections. These being 3-5 minute periods in the day where the homehub disconnects from the internet (light goes orange and supported by uptime stats in the hub) Before investigating originally I assumed it was down to wifi issues in their large stone walled house but having now seen things for myself it seems to be the hubs connection to the outside world. Every disconnection comes with an orange internet light on the homehub.

This has been going on for quite a few years now, many visits from openreach, which have included replacement hubs (they have 8 at last count) the line into their house replaced from the pole along with all phone sockets and they were then persuaded to upgrade to infinity. Even an 10 metre ethernet cable, which even my dad said was ridiculous as its the hubs broadband connection causing the issues. Along with a lot of "going to the exchange and changing a few settings) Nothing has worked. Their fibre speeds when connected are approximately what the bt line checker says they should be.

Part of the problem is that these disconnections are intermittent and it when openreach arrive for their allotted hour the line is working fine. Every phonecall to BT about the problem is treated as if its a new fault and it's been impossible to get anywhere with them. My parents neighbours also think they may be suffering from intermittent disconnects but they are not using the internet enough for anything to be ruled in or out.

They are at their wits end with how to proceed and i was wondering if anyone has any tips as to how to either get the case escalated or how i can conduct any further investigation for them? It just seems impossible to get anyone from BT to acknowledge an issue. BT have on occasion said that they could see the faults on their end but that's it.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Jon B
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 08-Sep-15 11:47:49
Print Post

Re: Never ending issues with BT ADSL (and now fibre) Disconn

[re: JonBradley] [link to this post]

Which model hubs have been provided by Openreach?
Standard User JonBradley
(regular) Tue 08-Sep-15 11:55:40
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Current model is a 5A. They have had many.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 08-Sep-15 12:08:09
Print Post

You can use RouterStatsHub to monitor the router so you can see what's happening in terms of Sync speed and Noise margin but you would have to run it on an always-on PC for best results.

Is there any noise on their phone line? Dial 17070 option 2 and listen - it should be silent. This works best on a corded phone.

Does the Automated line checker show any faults? https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/secure/faul...
Standard User flippery
(experienced) Tue 08-Sep-15 12:34:35
Print Post

There was an issue with the 5A which was fixed with current firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 update.
Check update of modem and disable 5Ghz wifi
Have you always used the BThub for ADSL and Fibre.
I am on ADSL2 and Hub4. It regularly disconnects and reconnects. two or three times a week.
Normally shown by " server not found" when using. Orange light if I go to Hub. Funny it only started when Fibre started roll out in area a couple of years ago.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-15 09:03:47
Print Post

when openreach arrive for their allotted hour

There isn't an 'allotted hour', there is no time limit on an SFI task.

Standard User JonBradley
(regular) Fri 11-Sep-15 14:42:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ok tried a few things. Had them plug in a wired phone and do the line test. No problems. Completely crackly free.

Routerstats installed on an always on pc. This is a sample of the noise margins from routerstats. You can see the dropouts on there very clearly (the other tabs mirror these)

http://i.imgur.com/xKoeSS1.jpg
Standard User 961a
(regular) Fri 11-Sep-15 15:13:56
Print Post

Can I suggest you send an e-mail to gavin.e.patterson@bt.com describing in simple terms the problem and asking him if he will arrange for his senior team to look into things for you

I'm sure the boss will help. If not, uurrrgggghhhhhh!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Sep-15 15:16:59
Print Post

That noise graph is pretty unstable. It could be something in the house causing issues. Do they have a Sky box? They can be notorious for causing noise (especially certain models where the resistors in the power supply were prone to blow). One thing to try would be to turn off as much as possible in the house and see if the noise settles down at all.
Standard User JonBradley
(regular) Fri 11-Sep-15 16:23:09
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

That graph was of a particularly bad afternoon. Today it has settled down to relatively stable but with the odd disconnect every couple of hours.

No sky box. I'll ask them to try it with a lot of stuff unplugged but they don't really have much going on apart from basics such as lights/tv's etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to