Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sat 07-Nov-15 18:10:57
Print Post

New gear for 10 Mbps USO?

[link to this post]

Thinking about the announcement today from David Cameron with regards the new 10 Mbps USO by 2020 (sounds a great idea to me), I'm wondering what sort of new ‘gear’ might be needed by the end user to take full advantage of such a service when it arrives?

Will the existing, pretty standard 1 gig LAN networking stuff in our computers… our present batch of Modem/routers… and present Wi-Fi standards be enough to take full advantage of the sort of speeds we can all expect, or will all of this stuff need a major revamp to get us fully up and running by 2020 and the new USO proposals?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Nov-15 19:30:36
Print Post

Re: New gear for 10 Mbps USO?

[re: sam_nospam] [link to this post]

Suspect a hint of irony, but if not then yes consumer hardware will be fine generally, a lot depends on what service is used to deliver the 10 Mbps USO speed, who knows some areas might end up with Gigabit if a firm working the USO in that area decides to do so.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sat 07-Nov-15 19:46:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Suspect a hint of irony, but if not then yes consumer hardware will be fine generally, a lot depends on what service is used to deliver the 10 Mbps USO speed, who knows some areas might end up with Gigabit if a firm working the USO in that area decides to do so.

smile ... no irony intended... just a genuine question about the gear we have now, and if it will be up to the job come 2020?

I guess taking your answer at face value, then all the gear we have now will be fit for purpose come 2020? In which case, no need to save up for the next big upgrade of computer/Lan gear/Wi-fi/Modem/router etc? smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Nov-15 19:56:27
Print Post

10 Mbps is well within the reach of even slower Wi-Fi kit, so anyone with 802.11n kit will be fine, obviously some homes will need extra access points to avoid wi-fi dead zones but that is down to the consumer or ISP if it wants to provide a full service solution (at a price).

What no one knows is how the service will be delivered and with 5.8% of UK premises falling at 10 Mbps or slower now and the superfast roll-outs continuing we can expect to see a wide range of different technologies used.

The 10 Mbps USO is not a technical problem to be solved, but simply a cost and time to achieve problem

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sat 07-Nov-15 20:09:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
10 Mbps is well within the reach of even slower Wi-Fi kit, so anyone with 802.11n kit will be fine, obviously some homes will need extra access points to avoid wi-fi dead zones but that is down to the consumer or ISP if it wants to provide a full service solution (at a price).

What no one knows is how the service will be delivered and with 5.8% of UK premises falling at 10 Mbps or slower now and the superfast roll-outs continuing we can expect to see a wide range of different technologies used.

The 10 Mbps USO is not a technical problem to be solved, but simply a cost and time to achieve problem

Thanks for the info... basically the sort of answer I was originally looking for with regards the existing equipment we are using now and what might be needed for the full implementation of the 10 Mbps USO in 2020.

It's good that we as consumers have what we need already....I guess just a question now of waiting for them network people to turn up in our roads and bring that nice fast fibre to our properties?
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Sat 07-Nov-15 20:11:34
Print Post

If it's not irony, then no equipment that we are currently using will be that useful in 2020. It all be antique. Most of us will be on, I would hope, 200-400 Mbps connections by then. Almost everyone will be streaming UHD media as dvd's, bluray will be out of date. For this you'll need at least 25Mbps for each device. As most households will have 2 or more devices doing this, 10Mbps will be as useful as dial up is now. Set the target as low as possible and it will always be achievable, but not useful. This promise is the equvalent of the Government in the 1900's saying that everyone could have electricity supplied, as a right, to their house, but it would only be 25 volt and only available for 2 hours a day.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Nov-15 20:14:04
Print Post

But a huge number of homes, millions, have much higher speeds than 10Mbps now, and a large number have had ever since ADSL2+ came along from O2/Be, Sky and TalkTalk - before BT Wholesale had it widespread. Even most of those on slower connections will these days have kit capable of handling high ADSL2+ speeds.

Plus, I would be pretty sure the 10Mbps will refer to sync speed, or at least Ethernet-connected throughput. There are too many variables for anyone to guarantee 10Mbps wireless connection throughout a house.

There's no requirement either for the 10Mbps to be delivered over landlines.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sat 07-Nov-15 20:30:48
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
If it's not irony, then no equipment that we are currently using will be that useful in 2020. It all be antique. Most of us will be on, I would hope, 200-400 Mbps connections by then. Almost everyone will be streaming UHD media as dvd's, bluray will be out of date. For this you'll need at least 25Mbps for each device. As most households will have 2 or more devices doing this, 10Mbps will be as useful as dial up is now. Set the target as low as possible and it will always be achievable, but not useful. This promise is the equvalent of the Government in the 1900's saying that everyone could have electricity supplied, as a right, to their house, but it would only be 25 volt and only available for 2 hours a day.

I think more than anything, the headline figure of 10 Mbps is conservative, even for 2015 but the hope would be that come 2020, most of us will be able to get much bigger broadband speeds than the USO proposal.

If anything, I think we should hope that the new USO for 2020 will actually be something that draws attention to the need for ever increasing broadband speeds and capacity and along with that of course will surely come new gear for the bigger speeds?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Nov-15 20:37:16
Print Post

Need not be a fibre delivery system if only needing to deliver 10 Mbps

Standard User rogerfp
(member) Sat 07-Nov-15 20:37:29
Print Post

Hopefully, but this is the UK Government telling us this and we all know how their promises pan out. The target should be realistic for the age and the needs we live in, around 50Mbps by 2020. Hope it's not another broken commitment. .
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to