Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FlexiPack
(newbie) Thu 21-Jan-16 16:08:21
Print Post

Interleaved Path FEC Correction Extremely High

[link to this post]

I've been having line trouble for a while now. The Openreach engineer said he fixed the line problem. Unfortunately I wasn't here so I didn't get to ask what the problem had been. Currently the line is being profile. It's 21 hours in and although there have been no disconnects, I noticed that the Interleaved Path FEC Correction rates are very high. After 21 hours they are:

Near End Indicator: 263532292
Far End Indicator: 161466819

I'm no expert in ADSL faults and only have a basic understanding. I understand these rates can be fairly high in number but from looking at other people's stats mine are off the chart. I would appreciate some advice on whether this is something I need to be concerned about.

My other stats for reference are:
(sorry about the formatting, I did put in spaces but they haven't been recognised)

Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)
Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 995 (Kbps.)
Downstream 5326 (Kbps.)
Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 5.5 dB 6.3 dB
Line Attenuation 29.9 dB 48.5 dB

Indicator Name
Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.6 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction NA NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 263532292 161466819
Fast Path CRC Error NA NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error 70 80
Loss of Signal Defect 4 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR NA NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error 535 83
Error Seconds 354 4827

Statistics
Received Cells 25363984
Transmitted Cells 6368501
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-16 17:32:07
Print Post

Re: Interleaved Path FEC Correction Extremely High

[re: FlexiPack] [link to this post]

What exactly is the nature of the problem ?

Are you having drops in sync, or was it a speed issue, or something else ?

I'd agree the error count looks poor, if that router is in the test jack of the master socket, or the engineer fitted an SSFP, then I'd wonder about some local interference maybe ?

Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 21-Jan-16 19:21:39
Print Post

does the connection appear to be working correctly?
how many errors does it say now? (ie a few hours later than the ones you published)
I would turn the router off, leave it for 10 minutes, turn it on again, and see how it goes.

ps have seen many incorrectly reported stats

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User FlexiPack
(newbie) Fri 22-Jan-16 14:04:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I haven't had any drops I'm sync for a week (although most of that was at half the normal lone speed). Prior to that we were having intermittent drops daily. This is an old socket with a non-removable faceplate so I don't have access to the test socket. We tried multiple cables and microfilters and they replaced the router.
Standard User FlexiPack
(newbie) Fri 22-Jan-16 14:08:05
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Aside from the high error count the connection appears stable and working ok. I cannot reset the router at the moment as the one is being profiled. 22 hours since yesterday's stats the Interleaved Path FEC stats are now:

Near End Indicator: 581855847
Far End Indicator: 356384498

A jump in 300 million for he near end and 200 million for the far end :/
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Jan-16 14:38:29
Print Post

This is an old socket with a non-removable faceplate so I don't have access to the test socket.

So just the one socket working on this line for the whole property ?

Were you told by anyone what the line fault the engineer sorted was ?
I haven't had any drops I'm sync for a week (although most of that was at half the normal lone speed). Prior to that we were having intermittent drops daily.

Sounds hopefully that resolution of the line fault has sorted it then.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jan-16 20:56:05
Print Post

Reboot the router to zeroise the error counts and then keep an eye on the Near-end FEC error build up over time. The training period is a myth & anyway 1 discon won't count.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User FlexiPack
(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-16 17:43:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The connection has been reset a couple of times as I've been on to EE Tech support (if you can call it that) again. They've raised the SNR margin to 6 and the connection has been stable for the last 24 hours. Having said that we've had a stable connection for 3 days sometimes and then it would disconnect 3 times in 24 hours, it's intermittent. The Far End indicator for the Interleaved Path FEC Correction is now 0 but the Near End is still mega high, going up by at least a thousand per minute. I gave up trying to explain to the EE guy about it. He just kept giving me the standard blurb about, router settings are complex and sometimes need resetting. I get a different story every time. We're going to leave EE, even if we still have the same problem with another provider, hopefully their support will be better.
Standard User FlexiPack
(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-16 17:46:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes, just the one socket, no extensions. We've tried multiple microfilters, cables, routers etc so we've eliminated a problem at the user end. Unfortunately I wasn't here when the engineer visited and he just said it had been fixed.

Unfortunately the sync started dropping again, the SNR was quite low though at 3, it's been raised to 6 so maybe that will help with the disconnects. That depends on whether the line problem has been solved though. Doesn't explain the error count though.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Jan-16 00:12:26
Print Post

Far End measures are only reset by the DSLAM kit in the exchange. It's usually the Near End that you need to worry about and it doesn't look good.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to