Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-16 14:35:55
Print Post

Non-NTE5 master sockets?

[link to this post]

So is there any reason that VDSL would be impacted by using twin BT master socket such as this one

currently I just have an NTE5 with a filter hanging out the test port and interested in having a 2nd line in the future was thinking about installing a twin socket or even 2 master telephone modules.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jan-16 15:44:59
Print Post

Re: Non-NTE5 master sockets?

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Looks OK. Even has a test socket for each.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Thu 28-Jan-16 16:10:02
Print Post

If you do get a second line, don't Openreach install them and make the decision? My guess is that it's normally a second NTE5. Do they even offer dual master sockets any more? That one has an older BT logo, not an OpenReach one. I see you can get dual masters on eBay, but one of those might raise suspicions if you fit it yourself.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-16 22:01:43
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Yes, Openreach will be a bit [censored] about installing a 2nd line to that sort of socket, however theres no way they're installing another NTE5... this will be impossible without destroying my new builds walls and looks...

The socket is no longer provided by Openreach and to be honest I would probably be looking a pair of MK modules to fit into a single gang faceplate.

I'm sorry if this sounds ignorant but, I don't really care what Openreach think, as far as I'm concerned they have fitted a faulty NTE5 that won't pass the DSL signals and now it don't work unless a filter is plugged into test socket and because the issue is past the test socket Openreach are saying they will charge to visit and fix... and I'm not going to argue with BT to get them to argue with Openreach and risk charges over an ugly socket that I don't even want.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-16 22:02:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Even has a test socket for each.

I don't know about that, it just has IDC's on the back and 2 jacks, not test sockets AFAIK

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jan-16 22:44:53
Print Post

I'm not asking. I'm saying smile. I checked a picture of the insides.

Two capacitors and two sockets.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-16 23:03:57
Print Post

Oh right, yes I've looked at those pictures also

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Jan-16 23:47:27
Print Post

If you're looking at the back of the LJU 4/1A twin master socket, it has no test sockets. The sockets you see on the reverse are simply the back of the sockets coming through from the front.

You can't plug anything into this from the rear as it's a mirror image and the keyway stops the telephone plug fitting.

The point about a test sockets is that it disconnects extension wiring. The LJU 4/1A doesn't have that facility.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 29-Jan-16 01:05:31
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

You are saying two things there. The important one you are obviously correct about, there are no test sockets as the extension wiring won't be from the faceplate. blush

As far as I know I was looking at the insides. I can't give you a link from this iPad, but posted one earlier today in General Chatter, about a wiki article having the pics removed. The second link I give there is to the archive version. (I've emailed wiki about it).

Ah - are you saying the gubbins is part of the faceplate onto an empty box or even just a hole in the wall?

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 29-Jan-16 01:07:40)

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Jan-16 06:41:11
Print Post

Extension wiring, if there is any, does indeed come from the back of the double socket faceplate. You can see a diagram of the wiring here. What you see in the picture I linked to is everything. That does fit onto an empty box/hole in the wall.

Every extension socket will need its own microfilter.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Fri 29-Jan-16 06:43:38)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to