Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rlees85
(newbie) Sun 27-Mar-16 23:29:23
Print Post

REIN or Line (Bit loading charts)

[link to this post]

I guess some of you seen my other thread, am having a huge on-going issue with ADSL.

Anyway I found a way of getting bit loading per tone graphs from my modem (that is not supported by router-stats).

I must admit I don't know what I am looking at here. Any experts out there know if these look more like a interference problem or a line problem?

Attenuation is 39.6db - so I guess the lack of high tones is ok. It is worth noting I also get drops when using only ADSL / ADSL2.

Graph 1 - Normal Usage
Graph 3 - Normal Usage
Graph 6 - During failure basically I took this as the modem was in a stage where the CRC errors go through the roof for a few minutes before it gives up and drops Sync.
Graph 7 - Took straight after the re-sync
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Mar-16 08:22:50
Print Post

Re: REIN or Line (Bit loading charts)

[re: rlees85] [link to this post]

Well for what it's worth, I would seriously doubt REIN as the cause, based on those graphs.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 28-Mar-16 09:49:15
Print Post

I cannot see anything untoward on those graphs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rlees85
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-16 19:19:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Well this just happened....

Two Graphs by SNRM this time not BitLoading

1db across the entire range and multiple, random tones going into minus suggests to be a borked line. Do feel free to correct me!

Shame I cannot get a BTOR engineer to give this proper attention and get it fixed frown I have seriously had about ten now. Could do it myself if I had full access to their network for an hour or two (not to disrespect any BTOR engineers who could do it in half the time if only they had the patience and willing).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 29-Mar-16 19:35:42
Print Post

So, how would the line have suddenly changed? Did you actually do anything at the time? Reboot the modem? Power off and on?

It does suggest a noise source - local to you or somewhere along the line.

M H C

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Tue 29-Mar-16 19:46:20
Print Post

Sounds like SHINE rather than REIN. Get yourself one of these portable interference detectors and see what you can find. Remember to switch it to AM, not FM. wink
Standard User rlees85
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-16 20:18:45
Print Post

Didn't do anything... Just captured it at the right time (its hard to get it just as the line starts to fail before loss of sync).

First graph just before it lost sync

Second graph after the re-sync (fresh sync)

I would have thought any REIN/SHINE source would be concentrated at one group of tones (frequency) rather than totally random / all over like this?

Edited by rlees85 (Tue 29-Mar-16 20:19:22)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 29-Mar-16 20:29:51
Print Post

Noise is so hard to trace and ultimately can you expect BT to actually spend possibly days searching for a source they are unable to control?

Have you tried a different modem and PSU?

You might find that the modem/router is overloading itself, then the power regulator starts playing up and suddenly there is noise! A resync may also have a soft reset too ...

Can you borrow an other modem/router? Possibly one which allows you to capture various parameters over time.

M H C

Standard User rlees85
(newbie) Sun 03-Apr-16 19:34:00
Print Post

Tried all the usual + loads more.. including 3 different modems.

I am literally down to one drop out per day at the moment (touch wood!). The only thing that has changed is that one of our neighbours has moved out. I would suspect maybe they look their SHINE source with them but I would expect no drop outs if that was the case.

Unless something like the heating/hot water has been left on a minimal setting........

This is the oddest problem I have ever tried to solve. Would love to nail it though!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 03-Apr-16 22:26:09
Print Post

One of my neighbours - several houses away moved out. My sync went up by around 6Mbps, the house was empty for about three weeks and when the new owners moved in, my sync dropped again.

So, if it all changes when you have new neighbours, then they will have the source and you will need to negotiate with them!

M H C

Print Thread

Jump to