Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Thu 31-Mar-16 07:37:22
Print Post

High Speed Broadband?

[link to this post]

Will high speed broadband ever be available to those directly connected to their exchange?

I am on TalkTalk LLU with a steady download speed of 2.1MBps. My line comes into the house from a pole which according to my local OR guys then has a 120 metre underground connection to the exchange. (WSBRW).

Virgin have recently polled my postcode area to see if there would be a demand for fibre but I do not anticipate anything to come from it. frown
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Mar-16 08:11:06
Print Post

Re: High Speed Broadband?

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

In some areas BT or BDUK are installing cabinets for the current EO lines. Other areas might get FTTP for these lines. In the end it depends on the investment profile in a particular area and what the return on investment would be for enabling.

EDIT : removed rest of post as didn't notice the capital B on the speed which significantly changes things...

Edited by ian72 (Thu 31-Mar-16 09:16:09)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 31-Mar-16 09:04:50
Print Post

2.1 MBps - that equates to around 17Mbps which is the normal way to express line speeds and is probably right for the length of line. I would consider that to be High Speed when considered against te speeds some users are getting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 31-Mar-16 10:44:44
Print Post

The TOTAL wire length is the critical aspect in this case, so what is/are the distance/s from the NTE in your house, to the pole?

I suspect that the total length is about 250 Metres, given the general use of poles in your area.

Edited by eckiedoo (Thu 31-Mar-16 10:45:15)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Mar-16 13:57:23
Print Post

Assuming you mean speeds of 30 Mbps and faster (normal phrase superfast) one new cabinet offering this has already gone live on the exchange, and another is likely to cover the majority of the Exchange Only lines (official way of describing a directly connected line).

So all comes to do what exact postcode and address you are on.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to