Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrOptimistic
(member) Sun 17-Apr-16 11:27:51
Print Post

Reversing A an B

[link to this post]

Openreach paid the area a visit last week and true to form my usually reliable broadband developed a faul t (can't they ever fix anything without breaking something else?). Last time the internet stopped every time the phone rang. From experience I tried reversing the a and b wires at the modem socket. Fixed it. This time a deafening hiss appeared on the phone line but the internet held up. Guess what, reversing a and b again fixed it. Filters checked first, sky, fixed phone and wireless phone all OK. Billion router does its best (even have the speed turned down to givea 9,db snr). Any ideas of what causes this polarity sensitivity and how it could be cured ?. Overhead line, adsl2, 53 dB downstream attenuation, 4 MBS usually, unless Openreach are in the village.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Apr-16 15:15:25
Print Post

Re: Reversing A an B

[re: MrOptimistic] [link to this post]

The bulk of the ADSL signal comes down the B leg of the pair. Your reversal of the polarity isn't fixing the problem, just masking it.

(member) Mon 18-Apr-16 01:02:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

That doesn't make sense. It's pd between the lines. Pls don't respond again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Apr-16 02:35:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrOptimistic:
Pls don't respond again.
That's not the way to reply to someone trying to help, especially given Zarjaz's employment
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Apr-16 03:12:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrOptimistic:
That doesn't make sense. It's pd between the lines. Pls don't respond again.
ROFL
If you know better than Zarjaz then you wouldn't have asked your question in the first place.

Too funny smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Apr-16 03:18:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

See this thread. Almost identical opening post, January 2014.
crazy

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Mon 18-Apr-16 05:48:03
Print Post

I am a casual user of this forum and have always appreciated help and advice, people respond with advice and thoughts and you are asking for that by posting on a community forum, yet one person responds with a theory and you tell them Pls don't respond again. well why don't you do that and go and look for the help elsewhere, because I would like this thread closed @MrSaffron, beacucse of your unappreciated nature.

I think you are over optimistic.

Edited by thomaswarne01 (Mon 18-Apr-16 05:48:53)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Apr-16 08:23:50
Print Post

Telling a fellow poster to not respond again because something did not make sense is nonsensical, since surely you would be interested in an explanation.

If a poster has done something that flouts the site rules then of course you are free to report it, but you cannot pick and choose who responds in a public forum.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Fri 22-Apr-16 12:42:54
Print Post

My bad ! Sorry all round. Took umbrage a bit about the certainty that the reversal wasn't the cure but was hiding something else but then just stopped there. My take was thanks very much for that but if you are not going to help why bother and can you not do it again. Made sense at the time but perhaps caught in the wrong mood so sorry again.

Yes this problem has happened before, twice, and I did post here but didn't really get much further with it.

Anyhow, sorry for the rudeness.

Edited by MrOptimistic (Fri 22-Apr-16 12:52:16)

(member) Thu 05-May-16 22:28:15
Print Post

What, no answers about unbalanced lines and earth loops?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to