Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User marthamcomputers
(newbie) Mon 18-Apr-16 15:21:29
Print Post

Web Cams constant router freeze

[link to this post]

Hi, I am administering two webcams at two different locations with different routers.

The problems I am having are the routers are invariably freezing up and disconnecting making me visit the two sites and reboot the routers, The router logs give no indication as to what is wrong.

Are Webcam router throughput prone to this sort of thing or am I just facing a coincidence of routers crashing?

I have replaced the routers twice.

Thanks for reading
Standard User rumster
(newbie) Mon 18-Apr-16 15:36:49
Print Post

Re: Web Cams constant router freeze

[re: marthamcomputers] [link to this post]

They may be running out of memory, especially if the line is not fast enough on the upload side. This would explain why there is nothing in the logs. Try reducing the frame rate and/or resolution of the webcams. Also, consider switching to monochrome if colour is not essential.
(newbie) Mon 18-Apr-16 16:17:24
Print Post

[re: rumster] [link to this post]

Hi, Thanks for replying,

Neither of your solutions are an option I'm afraid. They are tourist webcams published on a local government website. They have to be hi res and colour!

I am interested in your comment about Memory. How does this work in a router? Can you explain this?

Is a more robust (expensive I presume) router perhaps an answer?

I cant remember seeing Memory quoted in Router specs?

Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Apr-16 17:38:09
Print Post

Could be a million things. I'd say first and foremost, get a better router. Something like a Draytek will do nicely.

It is more likely the cameras tbh..

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
Standard User rumster
(newbie) Mon 18-Apr-16 18:06:58
Print Post

Just a guess. I'm no expert. How are the webcams connected to the routers, and how are the routers connected to the Internet? Does anything else use the routers? Are they connected to a local government network? They can be notoriously slow at times. Knowing what routers are in use would be useful. If they are ADSL routers, knowing the line stats would also be helpful. What are the webcams? Resolution? Frame rate? How much data do they pump out? Also, how are the feeds being broadcast? Are the routers doing it all?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 18-Apr-16 19:32:28
Print Post

As you have provided no details to go on - make of router, make of webcam, type of connection, static IP, DHCP assigned IP addresses, nothing, it's can only be guesswork.

I guess you are using dynamically assigned IP addresses and they have changed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Apr-16 19:43:17
Print Post

I hope the webcams are actually just feeding the video to a more powerful centrally based video server somewhere, otherwise the issue is most likely to be number of visitors causing issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 18-Apr-16 22:04:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes they are fed to a centrally based video server.
They are on two different (cant remember the exact models) Netgear mid-priced routers the IP cameras are Ethernet coupled, not DHCP but assigned IP and the routers are on static IP address ADSL. The routers have wireless enabled but only I access the routers that way when I take my laptop or tablet to the locations.

They are stand alone routers, no pc attached. Nothing else attached, not even a telephone, straight to adsl socket.. One of them is live on a website the other is not yet on there but functioning ok. as I can access them remotely as I can the routers. NOTHING shares the two separate telephone lines. Only I and the video server company can access them, the routers logs show no other intrusions. The ISP (BT) have done their line tests and say they are fine (don't they always...). and they are on separate lines at separate locations within the town. It cant be number of visitors as they feed to a central video server and in any case one of them is not live yet.
The cameras are Panasonic WV-SC384 H.264 compliant. They are on a separate mains socket from the router and have given no trouble. I fitted time switches to the two routers so they go off for five minutes every night (OFF 01:00h ON 01:05h) so if they have frozen and when I cant get there, they reboot that night anyway. This works ok as I can see the reboots in the logs. Gut feeling is that I need more robust routers? What does the "team" recommend for such an application?

Edited by marthamcomputers (Mon 18-Apr-16 22:07:31)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Apr-16 22:20:37
Print Post

What netgear router do you have specifically, netgear devices generally do not crash in my experience... All seems a bit odd, you should be able to support one video stream unless it's crazy quality.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 18-Apr-16 22:21:18)

(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-16 10:42:52
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I can't remember the models, but they are different. I am comfortable with Netgear, I even have one at home. I have been installing them for years.

What video stream would you rate as crazy?
From camera settings:

H.264 transmission On
Internet mode (over HTTP) On
Image capture size VGA
Transmission priority Constant bit rate Best effort
Frame rate* *30fps *
Max bit rate (per client) *1024kbps Min 128kbps
Image quality Normal Fine(Image quality priority)
Refresh interval 0.5s
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to