Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User god4aday
(newbie) Sun 08-May-16 21:29:20
Print Post

NTE5 and old master socket issue

[link to this post]

Evening all,

I have a problem I hope someone can answer as I have been banging my head against the wall.
Now I hope it is not something simple as I will really kick myself.

I have a dropwire cable coming into the garage that enters an old junction box. See photo. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_BhRYYAMizjbGhIY2...

The dropwire has orange and white and black and green cables.
From the junction box an old cable has orange, green and blue cables running to a master socket. The master socket has numerous coloured cables terminating on the old master socket. See other photo.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_BhRYYAMizja0l1b2...

Am I correct in thinking this is a STAR wired system?
The problem I have is that this system works, I get slower broadband but I get a phone dial tone.
I decided to get a new nte5 master socket and new dropwire cable. I did this by buying a new junction box and connecting orange and white old dropwire cable to orange and white new dropwire cable.
I then connected up the new dropwire cable to A and B on the rear of NTE5 socket.
On connecting my router and telephone, broadband speed has increased by 5mbps but I have no telephone dial tone.
I have connected the phone directly into the BT NTE5 test socket with no dial tone as a result. Broadband is working fine. I have tried another phone and still no dial tone.
Do I have no telephone dial tone due to the old wiring being in a STAR configuration or am I being stupid.

Thanks for any help.
John
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-May-16 22:59:08
Print Post

Re: NTE5 and old master socket issue

[re: god4aday] [link to this post]

The 'correct' answer is that none of what you have replaced was yours to do so with ..... and to be fair you have provided ample evidence of why you shouldn't have done what you have.

That junction box is a shocker in terms of corroded terminals.

My first thoughts are that you have [censored] up the terminations in the junction box, any chance of another photo of your handiwork ?

Second thoughts, have you reterminated all those wires going away from the pictured socket ? (you may have put a loop fault on going away) Remove them all and have just the single pair feeding from the old junction box terminated on the A and B, does this get dial tone ?

Thought three, admit you have cocked up, ask your voice provider to send an Openreach engineer and then await the bill for repair.

Edited by Zarjaz (Sun 08-May-16 23:34:35)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 08-May-16 23:02:45
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The 'correct' answer is that none of what you have replaced was yours to do so with ..... and to be fair you have provided ample evidence of why you shouldn't have done what you have.

That junction box is a shocker in terms of corroded terminals.

My first thoughts are that you have [censored] up the terminations in the junction box, any chance of your handiwork ?

Second thoughts, have you reterminated all those wires going away from the pictured socket ? (you may have put a loop fault on going away) Remove them all and have just the single pair feeding from the old junction box terminated on the A and B, does this get dial tone ?

Thought three, admit you have cocked up, ask your voice provider to send an Openreach engineer and then await the bill for repair.

smirk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User god4aday
(newbie) Mon 09-May-16 07:15:50
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi I will upload a photo of the new junction box shortly. This is the junction box I am using:

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_i...

All that is connected to it is orange and white (on individual terminals) from old drop wire and new orange and white from new drop wire (on individual terminals). The new drop wire goes straight nte5 and the orange and white terminate on A and B.

No other coloured cables are being used that were shown on the two photos I uploaded.

All I have tried to do is mirror what is coming into the property and terminate it on the rear of nte5.

Thanks
Standard User nadger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-May-16 09:21:54
Print Post

As has been pointed out in first reply you're playing with wiring that isn't yours - that's the provider's site of NTE5

Had you reported a line fault you'd have probably got OR to replace wiring and fit NTE5A - I had this done for free a few years ago
Standard User god4aday
(newbie) Mon 09-May-16 11:23:20
Print Post

[re: nadger] [link to this post]

Hi,
I am fully aware I should not be replacing and messing around with BT owned property but as I cannot guarantee BT would put a new master socket where I wanted I am trying to sort it myself.
Also the current configuration is outdated with corroded cables slowing down b/b speed and possibly telephone signal I have attempted to do this.

At the end of the day I have asked for ideas of why I can get b/b and not a dial tone. I have followed numerous YouTube clips and I believe what I have done should work.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 09-May-16 11:44:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by god4aday:
At the end of the day I have asked for ideas of why I can get b/b and not a dial tone. I have followed numerous YouTube clips and I believe what I have done should work.

I suggest trying with just the two wires that give you the broadband, and having the others disconnected. The phone should then get a dial tone.

Michael Chare
Standard User god4aday
(newbie) Mon 09-May-16 12:16:21
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Hi,
There is only two wires connected, white and orange from drop wire. All the rest are not connected. The photos show the old setup which is a mess but does give me broadband and a dial tone. The new setup using old drop wire and new drop wire orange and white gives me broadband but not dial tone!

Regards
John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-May-16 12:23:40
Print Post

If the broadband is showing higher attenuation than before it means one of your new joints is not good or a wire is broken.

Broadband can survive on one wire as a radio signal, but the phone needs the voltage difference between two wires to be able to work.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User god4aday
(newbie) Mon 09-May-16 12:49:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,
Thanks for the comment. I will re check my wires to ensure they are not damaged.

Regards
John
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to