Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User einsteinagogo
(newbie) Thu 19-May-16 22:40:16
Print Post

Broadband Downstream change from 4,484 Mbps to 2.313 Mbps

[link to this post]

Been a lurker here for many years, but never really had the need to post, for advice/questions, until today.

We've been a very happy Business Eclipse customer for almost 10 years in a few months, and we've always connected at 4,484 Mbps Downstream, which gives us a download speed of approx 3.2-3.6, okay it's not lightening (don't get me started on that), but we choose to have our business located very rurally, and we have a very long line.

from the Samknows Beta, we've been taking part from the very beginning, so we have report cards, demonstrating speed for many years. (again 3.2 - 3.6).

The business uses BB exclusively for email, webex remote sessions around the world for consultancy into our datacentres.

TODAY, broadband and phone died at approx 1.00-1.30pm, so went to make a coffee, in hope it as a glitch, and I spotted a BT Openreach Van, parked at the Telegraph pole, van open, no Engineer present...I waited for him to return, and told him, you been doing anything with my line, because I've got no Broadband, or Phone, he swore he hadn't done anything, so I said, must be a big coincidence then, and told me he had been fixing damp in the ground junction box, for my neighbour, and hadn't touched my cable, but maybe he had missed one!

later, phone and broadband came back on.... but now downstream is 2.313 Mbps, performance and downloads are 1.2-1.8, we've almost lost half our bandwidth somewhere.

Spoke to Eclipse, and they've asked us to see if over the next 24 hours it goes up, we will power off equipment, later this evening/AM, see if that improves.

Eclipse went off and checked the BT checker, which has always said we would get 1-2Meg, and then proceeded to state, it might be difficult to get this checked.

BUT Eclipse, could also see at the same time, as the BT engineer was out here, the Downstream speed dipped.

I've taken photographs of the Van, number plate, parked next to telegraph pole, with GPS coords as evidence.

We have many routers we can test, but there have been no changes here, just seems a VERY BIG coincidence after BT Engineer turns up!

Any ideas Broadband Gurus ?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 19-May-16 23:08:59
Print Post

Re: Broadband Downstream change from 4,484 Mbps to 2.313 Mbp

[re: einsteinagogo] [link to this post]

A hypothesis only!

The engineer cocked up and did a pair swap for your neighbour and mistakenly thought yours was unused. How, I have no idea.

Your neighbour is now happily sitting with the connection speed you have had for years. Do you know them well enough to find out what their problem was and if things for them are now different from before the problem?

When you buttonholed the engineer, instead of reverting your line then sorting out your neighbours for the second time, he simply took the easy way out and connected you to the first working pair he found. Hopefully it isn't your neighbour's old one!
but maybe he had missed one
Missed one what?

Edit - don't tell your neighbour (at least initially) that your speed has dropped dramatically. Get a decent reply first.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 19-May-16 23:10:12)

(newbie) Thu 19-May-16 23:20:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I know the neighbour a little, but I don't mind banging on doors and asking what the fault was, and has it been resolved.

he told me it was damp in the box. not sure what there fault was with my neighbours phone, I'm sure I saw a van their before today, not sure.

I do remember many years ago, having a fault on the line, and after many many months BT came out, and brought all their test gear, and connected at my house, and went back to exchange, and said WOW, your BT line is way out of tolerance, I'm surprised you have any broadband or phone, oh we've got an issue now, there are no free pairs in the ground.

went up the pole, and said, ah good, there's a spare line here, I said that's my neighbours, and he said, no worries it's not in use, we will connect you to that!

I said what about when someone moves in and connects up, and he said, that'll will be another Engineers issue not mine!

So I do wonder!

If I've not got the [censored] line!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 20-May-16 00:01:52
Print Post

I turned off the router for 30 minutes now - 2.375 Mbps not a great deal of change.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-May-16 00:14:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by einsteinagogo:
I said what about when someone moves in and connects up, and he said, that'll will be another Engineers issue not mine!

So I do wonder!

If I've not got the [censored] line!
If that engineer didn't document that pair swap it could explain things. I'd be very surprised if he didn't however.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-May-16 09:21:41
Print Post

Irrespective of any speed testing the best device for diagnostics is the ADSL modem itself, what are the connection speed, attenuation and noise margin figures. Would be great if you knew what these were before hand.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spuriousfish
(learned) Fri 20-May-16 09:36:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is a frequent occurrence where I live. BT Engineers are constantly working in the area and then someones connection dies.

Just a couple of months ago, the BT Engineers were working about 150m down the road from mine and my neighbours house. I watched them begin to pack up and leave, went back to my PC and my broadband was dead - so was my neighbours. There are only two other houses on the end of the line from the exchange and they were ok as where all the others downstream to the exchange.

After much complaining to BT the engineers came back and said that there was a 'pinched pair' in the box.

Many years ago we use to get private lines laid in for our customers. Frequently we would get our customers calling to say their line was down. The BT Engineers admitted that they would often have dodgy pairs and would just swap them with someone else. Eventually 'your' turn came around again to have a bad line.
(newbie) Fri 20-May-16 11:09:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

today...

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.1 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 49.9 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.0 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 386 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-May-16 11:33:27
Print Post

We will need the connection speeds as well as they aren't shown in those stats. Getting the speeds and the rest of the stats at the same time is crucial to analysing what is happening.
(newbie) Fri 20-May-16 14:15:32
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

that's because they are included in the Subject!

2.313Mbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to