Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User michaeleaton
(member) Tue 24-May-16 14:17:15
Print Post

BT Adsl faceplate / extensions issue

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

Just moved into a property. My router establishes a connection to my isp when connected to the master socket and test sicker. However when connected to an extension in another room it doesn't connect/sync. However the phone gets a dial tone in all sockets. The master socket has an adsl faceplate on. I'm wondering if the way the master socket is wired the dsl signal isn't going to the extensions? Can anyone offer any advice on what I need to change to get this to work? The extensions where put in during the house being built around 20 years ago.

Thanks,

Michae

-----------------
Michael Eaton
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-May-16 15:25:28
Print Post

Re: BT Adsl faceplate / extensions issue

[re: michaeleaton] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by michaeleaton:
The master socket has an adsl faceplate on. I'm wondering if the way the master socket is wired the dsl signal isn't going to the extensions?

That's right. The ADSL faceplate splits the signal right there - and only the voice component goes to the extension wiring.

Options
1) Replace the ADSL faceplate with a standard one, and rely on dangly filters everywhere
2) Use an ADSL faceplate with connectors for a data-only extension, and moving wiring for one of the extension to that connector
3) Relocate the master to the place where you want the router, and put the faceplate there. This likely needs a spare pair to that extension, and use of jelly crimps

Downsides
1) The extra wiring might degrade the signal, so care is needed with star wiring and the ring wire
2) Only works if you don't want voice at the extension, and there are no daisy-chained sockets
3) This would be counted as alteration to BT's side of the wiring, so isn't allowed - or needs a BT engineer to complete.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-May-16 15:35:36
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

My first thought was to check the back of the existing faceplate to see if it already has A/B output connectors, just not in use. Otherwise as per your option 2, adding that one or more filtered extension boxes or dangly filters could be added down that chain. AIUI the A/B connectors are straight through the NTE5 and carry the full voice and data signal.

Depending on the detail of which extension the OP wants to use, is there any reason more than one shouldn't be added to the faceplate A/B connectors?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-May-16 16:29:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good point ... There could indeed be multiple extensions along the data path, that could use more filters for voice.

However, best practice would be to daisy-chain them, with a single pair off the faceplate AB connector; star wiring from there would still create reflections.

I also think best practice would be to have the modem at the end of the chain, or use another data faceplate, wiring the remaining chain off its extension connector.
(member) Tue 24-May-16 17:38:00
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone. I don't have a phone and won't be using one. I'm only interested in data. I don't really want to move the master socket. Is there no way I could change the pair going up to the extension I want data on?

Thanks

-----------------
Michael Eaton
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 24-May-16 18:21:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by michaeleaton:
Thanks everyone. I don't have a phone and won't be using one. I'm only interested in data. I don't really want to move the master socket. Is there no way I could change the pair going up to the extension I want data on?
Your problem is the filtered faceplate. You either need to replace it or connect to it. The problem with replacing it and using an alternative socket is that you may get worse performance.

Michael Chare
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-May-16 18:38:59
Print Post

What sort of filtered front plate is it ? If the 'new' style it's simplicity itself to remove it and use the 'normal' frontplate, it can be done without disconnecting any wires.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-May-16 18:53:39
Print Post

If you upload a couple of photos of the master socket, with the faceplate in place, and one of the back of the faceplate, we should be able to tell you exactly what to do. It all depends on exactly which bits of kit are there, as the others have said.

What make is the filtered faceplate?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 24-May-16 18:54:10)

(member) Tue 24-May-16 19:07:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Would a simple test not be to remove the adsl faceplate and try the router on the extension? I think it's the standard one it has the openreach logo on it also. I'll pop to maplin tomorrow and get a standard faceplate

-----------------
Michael Eaton
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-May-16 19:25:47
Print Post

This is why we need photos. You may be wasting money buying anything. It is completely unclear what you have.

With the faceplate removed, no extensions should work either for broadband or phone. Checking that is one of the things you need to do at some stage anyway.

And not just the extension you want to use for broadband. You need to see if the phone will work at any extension in the house. No need to test the broadband really for this purpose. If any work with the phone, with the master faceplate removed, you have a fair-sized wiring problem.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 24-May-16 19:26:52)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to