Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User serk21
(newbie) Sun 07-Aug-16 00:52:21
Print Post

Speed problem that not even my ISP could undertand

[link to this post]

Hello

I really hate to post this kind of problems, but I'm desperate

I moved to London a couple of weeks ago and I chose Sky as my ISP, with a broadband that promised me between 10-20 Mbps.
I started to check it and more or less ok with the browser, youtube and all the stuff. However, when I started to try to download something the problem started.

Summarising everything:
When I download from Steam, GOG, blizzard, MEGA, torrent, windows update or even the big test files the this website has, it always download between 1.3- 2 Mbps (when I try the 5 MB file or less, it downloads around 8 Mbps). The other problem (even bigger) is that when I'm downloading something, the internet speed of the whole house just works horribel (i cannot even use google on my phone or my laptop if I start a download)

The weird thing is that when I try a speed test (from this website, sky website or other 4 or 5), it always give me between 13 and 24 Mbps as my speed.

I contacted the service, and they checked everything from their place, even "sending" me a document or something like that that was suposed to download at my correct speed.
The engineer came today (because he has to install the TV), so the lady from the contact service told me to ask him.

I wasnt here, so my sister had to deal with the problem (I gave her a piece of paper with all the info for the guy xD). It appears that he tried everything, and checked that the connection was actually slow when he dowloaded any kind of files (its suposed that he download something from youtube at correct speed, but I checked my browser history, my download folder and my bin and there is nothing there, but ok). He also checked that is true that anything works well when I'm downloading something. He tried to contact BT (its suposed to be my provider or something like that) and they checked everything from them, saying that everything is ok...

At the end, no solution, they told me that it might be my building (?), the programs that I used and the websites (yeah, of course, 6 differnt places...) or my computers (that was just an excuse...)

I use wifi, but I've also tried connecting my lapton wired and its exactly the same.

I've tried to install the website tool, but it's giving me problems with my windos 10 crazy

Here a live my speed results form this website:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

I just want to know what should I do... even if you cant solve my problem or don't know what is happening, what do you recommend me? complain and try to unsuscribe and change my ISP? try to make them send another technician/engineer to solve the problem? contact my landlord because is a problem from my house?

I really like gaming, it's my favorite hobby when I come back from work... I dont want to not be able to play just because my sister iphone start an update, because they dowload something for netflix or because my windows update start a little update.... I could live with the "low speed" ( I used to had 1 Mbps a couple of years ago, so it's not a big problem), but not with all those problems crazy

PD: Sorry if my english isn't perfect, if there is something that you don't understand, just tell me and I'll try to write it better.

Edited by serk21 (Sun 07-Aug-16 00:56:36)

Standard User IanBB
(committed) Sun 07-Aug-16 08:33:31
Print Post

Re: Speed problem that not even my ISP could undertand

[re: serk21] [link to this post]

Are you getting your bits and Bytes mixed up?

Download speeds are normally measured in MB/s (megaBytes per second) and speedtests normally show in Mb/s (megabits per second)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Aug-16 08:40:57
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Good thinking. The OP also needs to know, (hence this post adding information), that 1MB = 8Mb.

However, he does seem to have a problem of some sort. That 13Mbps should cope.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 07-Aug-16 08:42:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Aug-16 11:28:53
Print Post

If you have another suitable PC, I suggest that you try that, both Ethernet and WiFI.

That may help to identify whether it is the PC you have been using; or if the problem is further away, not local to your PC itself.

Also your Modem/Router is another item locally, which will be common to the tests you do, so keep that in mind.

And if convenient, try your PC at a friend's location, for example, again using Ethernet and WiFi.

Or invite a friend with a suitable PC, to come along and test on your system.

Almost forgot, make sure the PC's WiFi is disconnected/switched OFF when testing with Ethernet cable; and that the Ethernet cable is disconnected at both ends, when testing with WiFi. I don't know for sure; but suspect that there could be conflict.

----------------

Those sorts of problems help all of us to expand our knowledge, so don't be afraid to post them.

Edited by eckiedoo (Sun 07-Aug-16 11:30:41)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 07-Aug-16 11:44:55
Print Post

Your issue might be an IPv6 versus IPv4 issue.

As a test follow the instructions in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTDFJHVn9n4 that show how to turn off IPv6 on the PC

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User serk21
(newbie) Sun 07-Aug-16 11:49:12
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

It's a possibility, I tried to be careful with that, but I will double check it this night, when I come back home

I tried with my laptop and my mobile phone and they also have the problem, I was using my laptop without problem just 2 weeks ago in my previous house.

I will see and follow the video's instructions later, that looks promising

Thank you for your fast answers smile

Edited by serk21 (Sun 07-Aug-16 11:54:06)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Aug-16 11:54:42
Print Post

Can you confirm the download speed you see is 130kb/s to 200kb/s not 1.3MB/s when you are downloading.
Standard User legume
(experienced) Sun 07-Aug-16 12:44:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by serk21:
When I download from Steam, GOG, blizzard, MEGA, torrent, windows update or even the big test files the this website has, it always download between 1.3- 2 Mbps (when I try the 5 MB file or less, it downloads around 8 Mbps).

As has been said, could be bits vs bytes.

The high result for the small file is probably just false as browsers often start downloading before you've even clicked on where you want to save the file to/as, but don't start calculating speed till after.
Standard User legume
(experienced) Sun 07-Aug-16 13:39:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by serk21:
I really like gaming, it's my favorite hobby when I come back from work... I dont want to not be able to play just because my sister iphone start an update, because they dowload something for netflix or because my windows update start a little update.... I could live with the "low speed" ( I used to had 1 Mbps a couple of years ago, so it's not a big problem), but not with all those problems crazy

That is normal on a shared connection, though I don't know if you are in some way being affected more badly then anyone else.

Plusnet have traffic management that helps with this - not much use to you though.

I don't know what Sky routers are capable of WRT QOS (even if they have it you may find that it's upstream only). Technically it is possible to partially sort downstream QOS from the "wrong end of the bottleneck", but you need a capable modem/router (maybe Open WRT) or some special geeky network setup involving routing traffic through say a Linux PC. You also need to sacrifice some downstream bandwidth.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Aug-16 14:35:39
Print Post

[re: legume] [link to this post]

Sky routers do no QOS what so ever.

Eg if you fire up a torrent or a google drive upload everything falls over to almost unusable. On my SR102 sky router if I was torrenting or doing something with lots of connections (200+ connections) on more than one device, I would not even be able to connect new devices to the wireless SSID until the activity stopped.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 07-Aug-16 14:37:19)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to