Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Sep-16 16:03:53
Print Post

Network Cabling Query

[link to this post]

Just a little confused and would appreciate advice.

Daughter who lives at some distance wishes to move her existing router modem which is currently plugged into a BT Mk3 filter fitted to a BT NTE5 master socket. Her house is networked with two RJ45 sockets adjacent to the NTE5. What she would like to do is move the router/modem to the same location as her switch. Whilst I appreciate that this is probably best done by fitting a short patch cable to the IDC terminals on the Mk3 faceplate and plugging this in to an adjacent network socket she doesn't have access to a krone tool so using a pair of premade patch cable is probably the simplest for her or at least in the short term.

So, my question is what patch cables should she get for each end. At the NTE5 end should this be a BT to RJ45 cable or an RJ11 to RJ45 or are they the same? Similarly what sort of patch cable should she use at the patch panel to connect to the relocated router/modem? An RJ45 to RJ11 or an RJ45 to BT?

Thanks

Edit: Spelling correction.

Edited by MCM (Mon 05-Sep-16 16:04:55)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Sep-16 16:21:45
Print Post

Re: Network Cabling Query

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Mk3 presents the unfiltered connection on an RJ45 socket, so you can use an RJ45 to RJ45 patch cable. At the router end, use whatever cable was connected directly to the Mk3 filter - probably an RJ11 to RJ11 cable.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Sep-16 16:50:27
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I'm assuming an RJ-45-RJ11 is what she will need at the switch end, it is the NTE5 end that concerns me as she tells me the output on the Mk3 looks to be too small to be an RJ45 and looks more like an RJ11. Perhaps the socket can take either? The problem is that I can't check. I don't have an Mk3 myself, I still have ADSL and the much older BT filtered face plate with side by side sockets (NTE2000?).

If I hadn't seen references to RJ45 to BT, RJ11 to RJ45 and BT to RJ11 I would have told here to get herself and use an RJ45 - RJ11 patch cable at each end.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-16 16:53:31
Print Post

You also need to mark the port on the patch panel VERY CLEARLY. You do not want it accidentally reconnecting to either the switch or a device.

Can I ask why she wants to move the device? There is always the potential for introducing additional noise onto the line and that will reduce the speed. Provided she has a single output from the modem to the switch and everything else is connected to the switch then the only traffic on the link to the modem will be DHCP related and to/from the Internet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-16 17:03:26
Print Post

Am RJ45-RJ45 should work - they do look small but I an sure they are RJ45. As she already has a patch panel, just borrow one from there and try it out!

Remember an RJ11 which is actually an 6P2C (6 Position 2 Conductor) or any 6PxC plug will fit an 8 position socket (RJ45 is 8P8C).

M H C

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Sep-16 17:12:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Can I ask why she wants to move the device?
Primarily visual. She tells me should prefer to reduce the clutter in her lounge"
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-16 17:14:27
Print Post

I thought as much! Just remind her that she may lose some speed on her connection if she does - at least then you will not be asked to sort it out.

M H C

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Sep-16 17:30:18
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I'm aware of the differences, 6P2C and 8P8C, it's more the reference to a BT plug that confused me and wondered whether this meant it was a crossover or rather the reverse of a "normal" RJ11.

I had thought that an RJ45 should fit, it's just that she tells me the socket is small and similar in size to the RJ11 socket on the modem. I also appreciate that an RJ11 can plug into an RJ45 socket. I'll tell her to try using an RJ45 patch cable when we next speak.

I've already told her that it is essential that the broadband connection on her patch panel is clearly marked and that this should never be connected to her switch, only ever a modem. I don't think that added noise should be a problem or that she will see any reduction in speeds, the distances aren't great and the network cabling is good quality new Cat 6.
  Print Thread

Jump to