Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Intimidated
(newbie) Fri 23-Sep-16 20:07:39
Print Post

Awful upstream speed

[link to this post]

Hi folks

We've recently moved into a new property. We have FTTC, and we're experiencing seriously degraded upstream speeds, so much so that the line is effectively unusable for us.

Openreach have visited the property, tested the line at both ends, moved us to a new port on the DSLAM, and nothing has had any effect whatsoever.

The engineer said he'd expect us to get 4mbit upstream on our line, but he can't find anything wrong with it.

I was wondering if any of you might be able to take a look at our figures and see if anything looks awry to you!

At this point i'll take any suggestion -i'm desperate to get this resolved. Upstream is critical to us.

Estimated Line Length In Metres 1547.3
Downstream Speed 17.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 0.6 Mbps
ISP: PlusNet
Profile: 17a 40/20

https://gyazo.com/7377df2f1dc4c19f508591028c10b6fe
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Sep-16 20:17:50
Print Post

Re: Awful upstream speed

[re: Intimidated] [link to this post]

Are you using the master socket or an extension, and when you say "a new property" do you mean a new build or just new to you?

What does this checker give for the both the A and B VDSL2 lines?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(newbie) Fri 23-Sep-16 20:23:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I meant we've just moved home. The building isn't a new build.

Right now the router is connected directly to the test socket.

https://gyazo.com/9b24612d64877e05e72f65fb104cc25b

Edited by Intimidated (Fri 23-Sep-16 20:24:49)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Sep-16 20:59:38
Print Post

You have double checked that none of the extensions work when using the test socket?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Sep-16 10:49:39
Print Post

Uh oh. That screenshot looks seriously like an Asus.

Unfortunately, the data that an Asus presents is somewhat confused, so makes it impossible for people to offer serious guidance (beyond the questions about the physical copper pair).

Some people love the Asus routers, but the generic evidence suggests they just aren't very good as VDSL2 modems.

I'd recommend that you beg, borrow, steal or buy something else. Anything else. If you have to buy something, and you think your line is likely to continue to have problems afterwards, it makes sense to buy something that is compatible with programs that can read and monitor the line statistics from the modem. If you want to keep the Asus as a router, then you need a box that can be configured to work as just a modem.

Ones with a Broadcom chipset seem a good start: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html
I'm currently using the Billion 8800NL.

DSLStats and HG612-modem-stats are regular monitoring programs, with advice available:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/board,46.0.html

Having said all of that, FTTC's range does seem to be most limited by the upstream. More so if the line is aluminium, or partially so. Your line could well be like this, and the problem is nothing to do with the Asus.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Sep-16 11:13:07
Print Post

If you are using an Asus DSL-68U modem/router then that is most likely the root cause of your problems, as that particular router is known to be very unstable on FTTC lines, possibly the same could apply to other Asus modem/routers also. Try any other router and chances are your speeds will improve. Try to stay away from Asus combined modem/routers, though their standalone routers are amongst the best.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.59_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 24-Sep-16 11:15:58)

(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-16 19:51:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

We don't have any extensions!
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-16 19:54:22
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I have tried the router supplied by PlusNet too, and that had exactly the same issue.

However, I will try the Billion 8800NL that you recommend.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 25-Sep-16 22:44:43
Print Post

What does your bitloading plot look like?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Sep-16 10:45:15
Print Post

Can you get any statistics out of the Plusnet router? That'd be a worthwhile start.
  Print Thread

Jump to