Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User xMADxCHR15
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-16 17:57:10
Print Post

Sudden upload drop

[link to this post]

Hello everybody

New to the forum, so be gentle. My knowledge in this area is very limited

I have been with my ISP for some time now and have been receiving 25-30Mb down and 1.2-2Mb on a consistent basis. A couple of days ago I noticed a significant drop in my upload speed. Currently sitting at around 90kbps

I am currently in the process of speaking to the ISP regarding this but their lacklustre attempt at customer service has now been dragging out for 2 days and I am losing patience

Nothing has changed on my home network to warrant such a drop. I have a Billion 8800NL xDSL, micro filtered to my master socket. I have tested 3 other filters. I do not currently own a computer, so the only thing on my network is a console a few phones and tablets.

If anyone could shed some light on this I would be appreciative
Below is a snippet of the log from my router

Sep 29 17:53:31 daemon err syslog: pppd:Couldn't get channel number: Transport endpoint is not connected
Sep 29 17:53:31 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Couldn't reset tty to normal line discipline: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Sep 29 17:53:31 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Doing disconnect
Sep 29 17:53:34 daemon notice syslog: PPP: Start to connect ...
Sep 29 17:53:57 daemon err syslog: pppd:Couldn't get channel number: Transport endpoint is not connected
Sep 29 17:53:57 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Couldn't reset tty to normal line discipline: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Sep 29 17:53:57 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Doing disconnect
Sep 29 17:54:00 daemon notice syslog: PPP: Start to connect ...
Sep 29 17:54:23 daemon err syslog: pppd:Couldn't get channel number: Transport endpoint is not connected
Sep 29 17:54:23 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Couldn't reset tty to normal line discipline: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Sep 29 17:54:23 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Doing disconnect
Sep 29 17:54:26 daemon notice syslog: PPP: Start to connect ...
Sep 29 17:54:49 daemon err syslog: pppd:Couldn't get channel number: Transport endpoint is not connected
Sep 29 17:54:49 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Couldn't reset tty to normal line discipline: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Sep 29 17:54:49 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Doing disconnect
Sep 29 17:54:52 daemon notice syslog: PPP: Start to connect ...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-16 19:45:52
Print Post

Re: Sudden upload drop

[re: xMADxCHR15] [link to this post]

First step - what are the connection speeds, attenuation and noise margin figures reported by the modem, and is this FTTC/VDSL2 ?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User xMADxCHR15
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-16 20:01:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. Took this from the statistics page. Is that of help?

https://i.gyazo.com/567aca9064967d202db446bd64267111...

It is FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-16 23:48:02
Print Post

The stats show the modem is connecting at 32 Mbps and 2.2 Mbps which is very close to what you say you normally get speed wise. So what does a speed actually show http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and post the share link you get at the end.

What is interesting is the modem is suggesting and the stats do to the human eye that much higher connection speeds are possible. So if your speeds have never been higher its possible you've had a issue holding back your speeds for some time - what was the speed estimate given by the ISP at sign up time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User xMADxCHR15
(newbie) Fri 30-Sep-16 00:48:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Here are the results. The slightly lower download I expect as my wife is streaming some TV at the moment.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

This was my thinking, I could see the router had the correct speeds, which made me consider I had messed something up

For the last few months I have been receiving almost exactly what is shown, approx 30 down and 2 up.
Only these last couple of days has the upload plummeted
Standard User xMADxCHR15
(newbie) Fri 30-Sep-16 00:51:06
Print Post

In regards to their estimate, I believe they quoted around 20Mb down and 1.5Mb up
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Sep-16 08:31:32
Print Post

Okay speed test tells me its CallFlow and that is very important.

Have had an email about issues in Kent where a data centre outage occurred in London and since then no-one has had decent upload speeds. So nothing to do with you but all to do with provider is the likely cause.

Also being callflow explains some other oddities in hour the SNR margin was behaving in your screen shots.

Print Thread

Jump to