Can anyone suggest how I can get BT to investigate a problem with my ADSL broadband?
I have had ADSL at this property for about three months (VDSL was not available and is now on the cabinet but BT won't sell it to me as the predicted speed is only 3mbps). When installed I was getting a connection of about 3.8-4.2 mbps, not great but just about usable for streaming iPlayer etc.
Last week, however, this dropped to a connection of 1.8 mbps along with a lot of apparent packet loss leading to a download speed of less than 1mbps. Web pages are taking several minutes to load. My wife and I both work from home frequently so this is not workable.
I reported this via the BT website but the speed test failed and the system recorded the problem but failed to run the diagnostics. I cannot now re-run the test as it says I have a report open (which has not been followed up in the past 5 days). I tried the online chat today but got nowhere - after 'resetting' my line I was asked to 'pin hole' reset the router. I explained that I have tried several routers with the same result - the problem is not on our end but I could not seem to get them to take it seriously.
As for my own investigations I am fairly certain something serious has happened on the line but I can't seem to get this across. There were some roadworks all down the local roads last week (preparation for resurfacing) so I guess damage is possible but I don't think all that likely. Phone lines are a mixture of underground and overground from the cabinet.
We are about 3km from the cabinet and 4.5km to the exchange which explains the poor rates on both ADSL and VDSL but the predicted 3.1mpbs on VDSL is looking rather attractive right now.
For reference this is the data my homehub is reporting:
1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +XXXXXX+XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
3. Firmware version: Software version 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.11 (Type A) Last updated 16/11/15
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 01:29:57
6. Data rate: 64 / 1920
7. Maximum data rate: 196 / 2048
8. Noise margin: 5.0 / 7.1
9. Line attenuation: 29.5 / 63.1
10. Signal attenuation: 29.5 / 60.8
11. Data sent/received: 17.4 MB / 141.6 MB
12. Broadband username: firstname.lastname@example.org
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: XXXXXXXXXXX
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: XXXXXXXXXXXX
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall: Default
23. MAC Address: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
24. VPI/VCI: 0 / 38
25. Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
26. Latency type: Interleaved
27. Software variant: AA
28. Boot loader: 1.0.0