Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User floonds
(newbie) Wed 02-Nov-16 10:23:24
Print Post

EE broadband CHAP Authentication/PPP problem

[link to this post]

Hi all

I've decided this may be the best place to look for help given the incredible journey of problems I've experienced over the last 9 weeks through an EE home move.

To cut a long story short, I initiated a home move with EE broadband over 9 weeks ago. There was problem after problem, with broadband orders not being processed, reference numbers not matching up, addresses not being changed etc. Eventually (after complaints, escalations and emails to executives etc) we were told everything was working approx three weeks ago.

Unfortunately this wasn't, and still isn't, the case. Our router has a broadband connection at 6mb however the internet state is disconnected. Looking at the log it shows 'CHAP authentication failed' - a PPP problem.

Now I've searched the internet for hours and cannot find any answers to this. We're at the point with EE now where they don't seem to know either - we've had Qube engineers at the house twice, six (yes six) replacement routers, Openreach out who say the line is working correctly and I have a dedicated back office broadband engineer working with me to try and resolve the issue.

Can anybody help, or has anybody come across this before? EE say I'm the only case along with one other person at the moment and they've never experienced a problem quite like it. Maybe someone on here could point me in the right direction and I can pass this information on.

Ps it's not a BB user/pass problem - these are correct and have been reset etc.

Thanks in advance.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Nov-16 12:16:10
Print Post

Re: EE broadband CHAP Authentication/PPP problem

[re: floonds] [link to this post]

So the supplied EE username and password have been verified by EE.

Are you able to change the username within the router to bt_test_user@startup_domain the password field is irrelevant, but if the router requires this field to filled in, 123abc will be fine .....

Once set as this do you now get an external (wan)IP address ? If so then the connection is making it's way to the BT Wholesale stuff OK .....
I have a dedicated back office broadband engineer

So tell him the above works, ask him to knock you out of sync briefly (a remote reset will do this) Observe that the router DOES drop sync ...... if all these boxes are ticked the fault lies squarely with EE, there is something amiss their end, I'd suggest they delete and completely rebuild your account on their servers, maybe even with new username and passwords.

If one of the above tests doesn't do what I have described ask your 'back office bod' to get an SFI task built an ensure it gets pinned to an Openreach engineer (no more Qube bods) who does know his [censored] from his elbow.

Standard User floonds
(newbie) Wed 02-Nov-16 14:37:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply - yeah the supplied user/pass have been verified.

I changed the username to the BT test login a while back and it came up with a BT holding page - is this the same thing? I will check the IP tonight when I get in.

When I ask them to do a remote reset, how do I confirm the router has dropped sync?

Many thanks for help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User floonds
(newbie) Wed 02-Nov-16 15:17:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I should also add when I use the username and password at another address which also has EE broadband it works.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Nov-16 16:18:09
Print Post

I changed the username to the BT test login a while back and it came up with a BT holding page - is this the same thing?

Yes, I seem to recall the page you refer to said something along the lines of 'You have been redirected to this page for one of the following reasons ..........." Is that the one ? The IP check then is not required. That is the page I would expect you to get to if logged in with bt_test.
When I ask them to do a remote reset, how do I confirm the router has dropped sync?

They should do whilst you are on the phone, physically watch the sync light on your router.

I think there is some mismatch going on between what Btw have configured their port for (at the request of EE) and what EE have their radius server set to allow in.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Nov-16 23:56:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by floonds:
EE say I'm the only case along with one other person at the moment and they've never experienced a problem quite like it.
LOL! Liars! This issue is as common as dirt!

EE haven't registered your creds on their authentication server.

As the BB itself is working, this issue is beyond the realm of BT OR and is in EE's arena.

Have you tried factory resetting the router, when the BB Username changes back to "readytoconnect@fs", and waiting while EE remotely configs your router? Does the BB Username change back to what you think it is?

Are you running on ADSL1 (G.DMT) or ADSL2+? What exchange?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User floonds
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-16 09:36:50
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thought so!

I mentioned the BT SFI to them and he was out first thing this morning. There's no problems on the line so he is now at the exchange and I'm awaiting a call from him with his findings.

Yeah I've done a reset - it resets to readytoconnect@fs and doesn't change back to anything. I have to input it manually (and still no internet).

I'm terms of ADSL, I'm not sure what you mean - if I go on ADSL checker it shows the following:

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market A Exchange.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 03-Nov-16 10:02:56
Print Post

Oh, so you could get FTTP if you wanted
Standard User floonds
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-16 10:04:13
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]