Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tau
(newbie) Sat 12-Nov-16 18:39:29
Print Post

Vigor 120 v2 connection issue with Asus RT-N66U

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Having Issues getting my Asus to connect to the Vigor 120 ADSL2 modem.

So far the Vigor is picking up Internet connection as the LED is on, when I log into the Vigor I see online status as connected but it has a static IP...(not sure if that is how it suppose to be)..because when I login into the Asus and select PPPoE and add ISP details it doesn't connect...

Can some please advise (not advanced enough in networking clearly!)

Thanks in advance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 12-Nov-16 19:31:40
Print Post

Re: Vigor 120 v2 connection issue with Asus RT-N66U

[re: Tau] [link to this post]

The vigor 120 should only be authenticated and fully connected once the PPPoE session is initiated.

Sounds almost like it is not running in bridge mode

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tau
(newbie) Sat 12-Nov-16 19:57:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok I'm in the vigor settings can you break down how I should be bridging the vigor?

Assuming I need to select MPoA
What Encapsulation should I set?
VPI?
VCI?
Modulation?

WAN connection Detection
mode: ARP/Ping Detect/Always on?

Also should I have DHCP enabled in the vigor and disabled in Asus?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 12-Nov-16 20:14:23
Print Post

The Vigor should be in bridge mode, with its DHCP disabled and enabled in the ASUS. See Draytek help page.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 12-Nov-16 20:16:01)

Standard User Tau
(newbie) Sat 12-Nov-16 20:40:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link, just following the steps but noticed I don't have multi pvc option in my vigor 120. I'm sure there were more options! Not sure where they have gone. Any advice?
Standard User Mml
(newbie) Sat 12-Nov-16 22:46:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The Vigor should be in bridge mode, with its DHCP disabled and enabled in the ASUS.

Never had any issue with DHCP being on both in Vigor and router, as long as the IP range is different and mask is 255.255.255.0 so that DHCP requests from router's LAN don't get through to Vigor. Vigor actually works in DSL modem-only mode, not bridge mode.
@OP: I can try to download my config and attach it here because the settings you're quoting sound wrong. Also, out of the box, Vigor does not handle PPPoA/E so you have to set it in the router, but in fact there are hidden settings on its page which enable you to get Vigor do the auth. Perhaps this kind of setup would be easier for you, unless you want your ASUS to get IP direct from the ISP.

Edited by Mml (Sat 12-Nov-16 22:49:25)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Nov-16 22:46:57
Print Post

You shouldn't really need to touch the Vigor's settings as it comes configured in bridge mode by default. Easy solution is to do a factory reset on the vigor either via hardware button or through the web GUI and that should do the trick.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.62_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Nov-16 22:50:53
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mml:
Vigor actually works in DSL modem-only mode, not bridge mode.

They are both the same smile

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.62_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User Tau
(newbie) Sun 13-Nov-16 10:25:26
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mml:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The Vigor should be in bridge mode, with its DHCP disabled and enabled in the ASUS.

Never had any issue with DHCP being on both in Vigor and router, as long as the IP range is different and mask is 255.255.255.0 so that DHCP requests from router's LAN don't get through to Vigor. Vigor actually works in DSL modem-only mode, not bridge mode.
@OP: I can try to download my config and attach it here because the settings you're quoting sound wrong. Also, out of the box, Vigor does not handle PPPoA/E so you have to set it in the router, but in fact there are hidden settings on its page which enable you to get Vigor do the auth. Perhaps this kind of setup would be easier for you, unless you want your ASUS to get IP direct from the ISP.

I'm sure the vigor was set to bridge mode but tried everything I.e using DHCP on/off the vigor and Asus, different modulations and it's just not working..

Would be great if you could send ur setting for the vigor! I'm having no luck at all..

Thanks
Standard User Tau
(newbie) Sun 13-Nov-16 11:20:40
Print Post

Also is it best to connect vigor to LAN to PC first make all the necessary configurations. Then do I connect the vigor to Asus via WAN port? and Asus Lan to PC and go through Asus setup? Sorry just making sure I'm following correct steps.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to