Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TFG
(newbie) Fri 16-Dec-16 22:19:21
Print Post

Connect Technicolor TG589vn (v3) / Netgear Nighthawk R7800

[link to this post]

Good evening.

Sorry to trouble you all.

I have been on Zen Home Internet for a while now and have a Technicolor TG589vn (v3), which I believe is standard issue.

I have just purchased a Netgear R7800 router and I feel rather foolish. I am not I.T. illiterate, but I honestly didn't realised that this model (the AC2600, 4XS) didn't include a modem - I should have purchased the D7800, with modem.

As I understand it, I have options:

1) Sell the router (I bought the router on eBay)
2) Buy a Netgear modem for fibre broadband - any suggestions would be appreciated
3) Utilise my Techicolor router as a modem to use with the router... I wouldn't know where to start!

I fully appreciate that forums are full of irritating noobs who panic and haven't read around. I have done my best to source the information, but without success.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Dec-16 22:46:32
Print Post

Re: Connect Technicolor TG589vn (v3) / Netgear Nighthawk R78

[re: TFG] [link to this post]

I'd say make the best of a bad situation, purchase an 'all in one solution' and flog the dud back on EBay.

Standard User TFG
(newbie) Fri 16-Dec-16 22:48:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks.. I am certainly considering that.

I don't think that the hardware bought is fake or useless... it's a classic case of not looking before you leap.

If I can't do anything to resolve the problem effectively, then that is exactly what I will do.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mml
(learned) Fri 16-Dec-16 23:51:41
Print Post

TG589vac supplied as a standard modem/router by SSE, has a setting for a bridge mode. I would expect that so does TG589vn. Give it a try if you aren't feeling lazy smile
Standard User TFG
(newbie) Sat 17-Dec-16 10:01:58
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

I tried the bridge mode, which it does have, but I was unable to configure the correct settings.

This led to the Technicolor router having a tantrum and stopping working.

I then ended up having to contact my ISP to go through some set pieces. Essentially, the session went stale and I had to factory reset the Technicolor router.

I suspect that if anybody could provide me with the correct config settings that I would be away.

Cheers
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-Dec-16 11:07:10
Print Post

It would work if you used the Technicolor router as a normal router in its default configuration with the Zen username and password and then plugged the WAN port of the Netgear into the LAN port of the Technicolor. You then run the setup wizard on the Netgear and it should find the internet.

This would give you Netgear wireless, which is likely to be better than on the Technicolor, if that's the reason you purchased the router.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-Dec-16 13:11:01
Print Post

Buy an Openreach HG612 on eBay? Just a thought.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 66997/19999 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User TFG
(newbie) Sat 17-Dec-16 19:20:34
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for all your help!

I managed to bridge the Technicolor TG589vn (v3); using information found at the following link:

https://forum.zen.co.uk/forums/3/49871/ShowThread.aspx

Having conquered that issue, I am now looking into how to install dd-wrt on the R7800, to enable use of a VPN.

I have successfully sourced the required files, I'm now just ensuring that I don't brick my router!

Having jumped once without looking and got away with it, I am exercising caution at this stage!

Many thanks smile
  Print Thread

Jump to