Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PiKe
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-17 14:29:55
Print Post

ADSL2+ and now VDSL disconnections

[link to this post]

My dad has been having a problem for months whereby the connection is lost randomly between the hours of 11 and 3pm, it can be once, it can be several times in a row.

He has upgraded to fibre in an effort to resolve the issue because the SFI engineers has exhausted their tests.

This also hasn't solved it, however, what is interesting is that 4 different routers, have all rebooted and lost connection, rather than just simply dropping the connection, this consisted of 2x BT Home HUB 2.0a, a Fritz!Box and now a Plusnet Hub One.

Is there any way that something down the phoneline could cause the router to reboot? Or is this looking more like a power problem?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Jan-17 14:34:00
Print Post

Re: ADSL2+ and now VDSL disconnections

[re: PiKe] [link to this post]

The Home Hubs (which the PlusNet is too) have a tendency on resyncs to drop everything and appear to reboot.

Not sure on the Fritzbox...

Trying a Huawei HG612 that is unlocked as a bridge to one of the home hubs or something like the TP Link W9970 (http://amzn.to/2kasjhK £37 on Amazon) which can run in modem or router modes may be more beneficial in terms of figuring out the issue.

If the disconnects are without fail between 11am and 3pm it points to a massive noise spike generated by something electrical nearby.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PiKe
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-17 14:37:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have a ECI modem which I no longer use, but Dad's on a Huawei cab, will that do for testing?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 20-Jan-17 15:11:54
Print Post

If it's locked then it's less use that the Hub One, which at least gives you some statistics. You can use the RouterstatsHub 5A to monitor the stats on the Hub One.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Jan-17 16:17:47
Print Post

If might, but you'd have no access to stats, ideally you want a Broadcom chipset in the modem you use. The one I linked to, or the HG612 does.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-17 22:59:57
Print Post

My first guesses would be that something generates spikes of noise in that timeframe, or you have a form of developing, intermittent high-resistance fault. Perhaps triggered as the day warms up.

My parents suffered the first kind of problem from 430pm through to 9pm. Fixed by a proper filtered faceplate, and removal of the ring wire.

I had the second issue on one line, which thankfully did disappear after upgrading to fibre.

The first step I'd take would be to get some monitoring software running with a modem that allows the data to be read. Graphing the SNRM will help show these; adding the error rates will help too.

Intermittent faults are a pain to diagnose. Graphs can help...
Standard User retracor
(newbie) Sat 21-Jan-17 10:43:11
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I have been having this problem for quite sometime and as yet have not found a pattern. This has happened whilst I was on ADSL and continue though to VDSL .ADSL was Talktalk which took them 2-3 months to apparently fix it. Changed to VDSL a few months later from PlusNet to see the problem raise it`s self again.

Had a lot of engineers out several things done to the copper connection but has still not corrected the fault. The fault rectifies its self after several retrains sometime returning to ADSL speeds needing further retrains to get back to VDSL speed. The fault is totally intermittent the connection can run fine for up to a month or more. Also suffer with packet lose and sometimes bad single channel streaming. causing stuttering or buffering of video.

I have finally got an appointment for a SFI to attend after get a more helpful ear but it took a near heated discussion with a front line customer advisor and Manager and a posting on the community forum to make this happen. I am thinking a Openreach/ISP fault at the exchange or in the network. Hoping the SFI actually pin points the fault but my confidence is low.

Retracor
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 21-Jan-17 11:11:08
Print Post

[re: retracor] [link to this post]

What I was suggesting is the monitoring of line stats 24*7 to see if the graph shows some sort of pattern
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Jan-17 12:36:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

And it may be the network is perfectly fine, but some local garage that does arc welding at those times of days is causing a big RF burst knocking out yours and maybe other lines.

Chasing down this issues is not simple or quick to do.

Standard User retracor
(newbie) Sat 21-Jan-17 14:44:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In the late evening. I would be surprised. Any I live quite rural the nearest garage is at 1/2 mile away or more away. There a double glazing company near by but they do not work after 18:00. The problem occur even during their shut down between Christmas and New Year.

What a RF burst does not explain is why does the connection does not come back at VDSL rates but ADSL speeds. The DLM on VDSL is meant to be switched off after the first 10 Days. so it should not be a line management issue. It does not explain the phone problems, packet loss or poor single channel downloads at any time, morning, afternoon and night.

Retracor
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to