Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-17 14:39:57
Print Post

no dsl and default gatewa isy blank

[link to this post]

I have a frustrating problem, at my wits end here, so I would be grateful for any help.
My broadband when off completely 5 days ago (DSL and Internet lights out)
afetr contacting cust support they said they would look into it.

later on i noticed that the default gateway field was blank in ipconfig. Are these two issues related? BTW I have reset the router a dozen times, to get the DGateway back to no avail.

Cust support haven't confirmed or denied any network fault, and are very slow indeed.

I am using zyxel router with post office broadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Feb-17 14:48:53
Print Post

Re: no dsl and default gatewa isy blank

[re: sjpateys] [link to this post]

Is your landline phone working?

Is the router plugged into the master socket, or an extension? If it's an extension, what happens if you plug it in at the master? You don't need to move a computer to see if the right lights come on.

Have you powered off the router, and anything that connects physically to it, then unplugged the every cable at both ends and replugged them? If not, try it.

You can do this one connection at a time so you can't get mixed up, and if you have a dangly filter the same applies - get that completely detached from everything then reconnect it. Then power up the router and see what happens.

If that fails, you need to remove the master socket faceplate and try the router into the test socket. If you have a big filter plate between the faceplate and the wall part, that has to come off as well to get to the test socket.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 15-Feb-17 14:50:38)

Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-17 14:54:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying so quickly yes landline is fine.
I have done all these checks, including accessing via master faceplate.the router reset wont work either in restoring default gateway.

One thing I am trying to establish is would a blank default gateway cause dsl light to go off. I am trying to determine whether both dsl is down and router is knackered i.e. two problems at once.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:06:14
Print Post

Does your zyxel router display any line stats?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:12:04
Print Post

is would a blank default gateway cause dsl light to go off?

NO

But the lack of a DSL signal means the modem cannot talk to the broadband provider and get the gateway settings and subsequently give you access to the Internet.

So likely just one problem DSL down, since gateway is always blank when the DSL down.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:17:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I believe most kit won't display any stats if the equipment in question isn't in sync BB.

Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:18:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok, that explains that, but wouldn't a firmware reset bring the default gateway back? thanks

Ive been told different things every time i cintact tech support, and they just say they are looking into proble, that was five days ago.

If dsl goes off, does this prevent you from logging in cia ethernet cable?

Edited by sjpateys (Wed 15-Feb-17 15:26:10)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:27:24
Print Post

There likely isn't a default gateway. The gateway details get sent to the device once it has connected to DSL, as MrS stated.
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:30:06
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I realise that, but I was told that the router has the default gateway 192.168.1.1 stored in its firmware and that resetting the router whilst disconnected would bring it back, is this the case or not?

Ok I just realised what you meant, that some routers do not have the default gateway stored in firmware but my router does according to the manual.

Edited by sjpateys (Wed 15-Feb-17 15:34:51)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:36:47
Print Post

Do you mean the WAN side default gateway, or the LAN side?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to