Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:39:28
Print Post

Re: no dsl and default gatewa isy blank

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I'm confused now, thought there was just one. As i understood it, resetting the router will restore (presumably) the default gateway of the router allowing me to login via lan.

Oh well at least I'll have a spare router assuming it get delivered, available when PO gets round to restoring my dsl signal.

Edited by sjpateys (Wed 15-Feb-17 15:49:30)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Feb-17 16:26:03
Print Post

[re: sjpateys] [link to this post]

The gateway you are talking about is within the DHCP for addresses offered to the client. If on a windows device you go to a command prompt and do "ipconfig" then the network interface should show a default gateway that is the router ip address.

The router also has a WAN default gateway which tells it where it needs to send traffic to for onward travel. This is provided to the router when it connects to DSL.

To be able to log in to the router from a PC does not actually require the default gateway setting at all as it is all within the local network. As long as the router and the PC are in the same IP subnet then the gateway is irrelevant for logging in to the router interface.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Feb-17 16:30:07
Print Post

In short, when you log in to the routers interface, what do the line stats show?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Feb-17 16:31:56
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Using the router's Gui, go to Maintenance/Diagnostic/DSL Line
Then select 'DSL Line Status'.

You could try 'Reset ADSL Line'.

If there is no DSL shown, I would try another router/modem to see if that at least gets DSL.

You can find the connection userid and password by downloading and then viewing the ZyXEL configuration file.

PS. The ZyXEL AMG1302-T10B is susceptible to the Mirai virus. The firmware can be upgraded to avoid this or if the router has been attacked. Details are availabe from the ZyXEL website.

Michael Chare

Edited by Michael_Chare (Wed 15-Feb-17 16:41:36)

Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 13:51:55
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I can't log into the router unfortunately. No LAN gateway. I will try reset ADSL command. However my isp is adamant the router is faulty, as they answered my original question being -Does a faulty router cause the DSL signal to shut down? which according to them is yes.

Your suggestion of trying another router is the one I am now pursuing when the isp sends one out (could be a long wait)

Edited by sjpateys (Thu 16-Feb-17 13:57:52)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Feb-17 14:00:42
Print Post

Given we know know you are referring to the gateway address in the computers IP address settings can say a bit more.

The DHCP service should hand out a full IP address, gateway, DNS value to the PC even if there is no DSL. Not getting assigned the correct local LAN IP information can be a PC issue, but given you also seem to have lost DSL signal too then its possible the router is dead.

An alternate is the router was hacked and deliberately bricked by a third party

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 14:00:59
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Are the line stats the ones displayed in ipconfig? I cannot log into router via LAN (I could previously using 193.168.1.1). I was told resetting router brings this address back from firmware, needless to say, it hasn't which leads me (and my isp) to believe that the router is faulty.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Feb-17 14:03:06
Print Post

No line stats are referring to the ones in the router itself, rather than on the PC.

How is the network card on the PC configured? Get IP address automatically or with manual settings?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 14:03:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I heard about zyxel routers being hacked on a big scale some time in December, this was one of my thoughts, that mine was done as well.

I have just received a text from my isp that 'they have fixed the technical fault on my home phone and broadband and to contact them if still experiencing problems'.

I will have to shoot off home shortly to see if dsl is back up (this contradicts everything they told me earlier, but we'll gloss over that

Edited by sjpateys (Thu 16-Feb-17 14:09:36)

Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 14:06:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

IP address settings are set on automatic as (I believe they are in most cases, however, I might be mistaken).
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to