Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-17 14:39:57
Print Post

no dsl and default gatewa isy blank

[link to this post]

I have a frustrating problem, at my wits end here, so I would be grateful for any help.
My broadband when off completely 5 days ago (DSL and Internet lights out)
afetr contacting cust support they said they would look into it.

later on i noticed that the default gateway field was blank in ipconfig. Are these two issues related? BTW I have reset the router a dozen times, to get the DGateway back to no avail.

Cust support haven't confirmed or denied any network fault, and are very slow indeed.

I am using zyxel router with post office broadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Feb-17 14:48:53
Print Post

Re: no dsl and default gatewa isy blank

[re: sjpateys] [link to this post]

Is your landline phone working?

Is the router plugged into the master socket, or an extension? If it's an extension, what happens if you plug it in at the master? You don't need to move a computer to see if the right lights come on.

Have you powered off the router, and anything that connects physically to it, then unplugged the every cable at both ends and replugged them? If not, try it.

You can do this one connection at a time so you can't get mixed up, and if you have a dangly filter the same applies - get that completely detached from everything then reconnect it. Then power up the router and see what happens.

If that fails, you need to remove the master socket faceplate and try the router into the test socket. If you have a big filter plate between the faceplate and the wall part, that has to come off as well to get to the test socket.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 15-Feb-17 14:50:38)

Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-17 14:54:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying so quickly yes landline is fine.
I have done all these checks, including accessing via master faceplate.the router reset wont work either in restoring default gateway.

One thing I am trying to establish is would a blank default gateway cause dsl light to go off. I am trying to determine whether both dsl is down and router is knackered i.e. two problems at once.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:06:14
Print Post

Does your zyxel router display any line stats?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:12:04
Print Post

is would a blank default gateway cause dsl light to go off?

NO

But the lack of a DSL signal means the modem cannot talk to the broadband provider and get the gateway settings and subsequently give you access to the Internet.

So likely just one problem DSL down, since gateway is always blank when the DSL down.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:17:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I believe most kit won't display any stats if the equipment in question isn't in sync BB.

Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:18:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok, that explains that, but wouldn't a firmware reset bring the default gateway back? thanks

Ive been told different things every time i cintact tech support, and they just say they are looking into proble, that was five days ago.

If dsl goes off, does this prevent you from logging in cia ethernet cable?

Edited by sjpateys (Wed 15-Feb-17 15:26:10)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:27:24
Print Post

There likely isn't a default gateway. The gateway details get sent to the device once it has connected to DSL, as MrS stated.
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:30:06
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I realise that, but I was told that the router has the default gateway 192.168.1.1 stored in its firmware and that resetting the router whilst disconnected would bring it back, is this the case or not?

Ok I just realised what you meant, that some routers do not have the default gateway stored in firmware but my router does according to the manual.

Edited by sjpateys (Wed 15-Feb-17 15:34:51)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:36:47
Print Post

Do you mean the WAN side default gateway, or the LAN side?
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-17 15:39:28
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I'm confused now, thought there was just one. As i understood it, resetting the router will restore (presumably) the default gateway of the router allowing me to login via lan.

Oh well at least I'll have a spare router assuming it get delivered, available when PO gets round to restoring my dsl signal.

Edited by sjpateys (Wed 15-Feb-17 15:49:30)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Feb-17 16:26:03
Print Post

The gateway you are talking about is within the DHCP for addresses offered to the client. If on a windows device you go to a command prompt and do "ipconfig" then the network interface should show a default gateway that is the router ip address.

The router also has a WAN default gateway which tells it where it needs to send traffic to for onward travel. This is provided to the router when it connects to DSL.

To be able to log in to the router from a PC does not actually require the default gateway setting at all as it is all within the local network. As long as the router and the PC are in the same IP subnet then the gateway is irrelevant for logging in to the router interface.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Feb-17 16:30:07
Print Post

In short, when you log in to the routers interface, what do the line stats show?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Feb-17 16:31:56
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Using the router's Gui, go to Maintenance/Diagnostic/DSL Line
Then select 'DSL Line Status'.

You could try 'Reset ADSL Line'.

If there is no DSL shown, I would try another router/modem to see if that at least gets DSL.

You can find the connection userid and password by downloading and then viewing the ZyXEL configuration file.

PS. The ZyXEL AMG1302-T10B is susceptible to the Mirai virus. The firmware can be upgraded to avoid this or if the router has been attacked. Details are availabe from the ZyXEL website.

Michael Chare

Edited by Michael_Chare (Wed 15-Feb-17 16:41:36)

Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 13:51:55
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I can't log into the router unfortunately. No LAN gateway. I will try reset ADSL command. However my isp is adamant the router is faulty, as they answered my original question being -Does a faulty router cause the DSL signal to shut down? which according to them is yes.

Your suggestion of trying another router is the one I am now pursuing when the isp sends one out (could be a long wait)

Edited by sjpateys (Thu 16-Feb-17 13:57:52)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Feb-17 14:00:42
Print Post

Given we know know you are referring to the gateway address in the computers IP address settings can say a bit more.

The DHCP service should hand out a full IP address, gateway, DNS value to the PC even if there is no DSL. Not getting assigned the correct local LAN IP information can be a PC issue, but given you also seem to have lost DSL signal too then its possible the router is dead.

An alternate is the router was hacked and deliberately bricked by a third party

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 14:00:59
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Are the line stats the ones displayed in ipconfig? I cannot log into router via LAN (I could previously using 193.168.1.1). I was told resetting router brings this address back from firmware, needless to say, it hasn't which leads me (and my isp) to believe that the router is faulty.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Feb-17 14:03:06
Print Post

No line stats are referring to the ones in the router itself, rather than on the PC.

How is the network card on the PC configured? Get IP address automatically or with manual settings?

Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 14:03:48
Print Post

I heard about zyxel routers being hacked on a big scale some time in December, this was one of my thoughts, that mine was done as well.

I have just received a text from my isp that 'they have fixed the technical fault on my home phone and broadband and to contact them if still experiencing problems'.

I will have to shoot off home shortly to see if dsl is back up (this contradicts everything they told me earlier, but we'll gloss over that

Edited by sjpateys (Thu 16-Feb-17 14:09:36)

Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 14:06:20
Print Post

IP address settings are set on automatic as (I believe they are in most cases, however, I might be mistaken).
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 14:11:36
Print Post

Thanks everyone for all the help, thus far, hopefull y problem is fixed.
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 16-Feb-17 15:04:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by sjpateys:
Are the line stats the ones displayed in ipconfig? I cannot log into router via LAN (I could previously using 193.168.1.1). I was told resetting router brings this address back from firmware, needless to say, it hasn't which leads me (and my isp) to believe that the router is faulty.
try 192. not 193
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 16:13:40
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

sorry I meant 192 not 193.

problem has been located and fixed by isp.

fault at hteir end even though they told me otherwise.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Feb-17 16:34:45
Print Post

And you can now log in to the router over the LAN? If so then something strange seems to be happening as no failure at the ISP should stop you logging in to the local router - in fact the router doesn't even need to have any connection to the Internet for it to work on the local LAN.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Feb-17 17:44:17
Print Post

A remote config update that messed up LAN side perhaps, but with no DSL link no sure how they would update, or maybe link was up but a duff config messed up the DSL led on condition (some routers let you turn off LED so they don't keep people awake at night)

There has been the odd router where it can get so busy syncing during a DSL fault condition that the web interface is unresponsive.

Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 22:14:50
Print Post

You have confirmed my initial belief that you could log into router via LAN regardless of whether DSL was up/down. However I suddenly found I could log in via LAN again once DSL was back up. I do not know why, I only speak as I find on this one.
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 22:25:01
Print Post

Dunno, first they told me router was faulty, then announced problem was fixed at their end. Either way, my BB is back up and running.

TBH I'm not sure I really care any more after all the hassle, but it would be good getting clarification as to what was the real problem. Also, why would DSL going down stop me logging into router? Doesn't make sense.

Edited by sjpateys (Thu 16-Feb-17 22:27:27)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Feb-17 10:39:53
Print Post

Had this ONCE with a review router, solution was to unplug the DSL line and could then login

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Feb-17 12:04:14
Print Post

When does your contract with your ISP the Post Office end? tongue

plusnet user
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-17 15:02:07
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

not anytime soon.
Standard User sjpateys
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-17 15:05:26
Print Post

My broadband came up and has since gone down again. I will be receiving a new router on monday. So I will finally be able to know if this is the problem.

At least my internet came back up if momentarily, that's something.

faulty router could possibly also explain problems logging into it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to