Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sat 04-Mar-17 14:52:27
Print Post

DECT Phones & ADSL Microfilters & Whistles

[link to this post]

Any ideas please - like many I am at wits end ref BT and problem solving

Three different DECT phones
Four different ADSL Microfilters
All sockets tried including the Openreach Master Test socket
Whether BT Hub 5 is connected or not

The issue is that without the ADSL filter line is quiet and normal
With a filter there is a whistle/oscillation on the line affecting both ends of a call.

Two BT engineer visits plus work checking the exchange and associated lines all so far
have not fixed the issue.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 15:33:13
Print Post

Re: DECT Phones & ADSL Microfilters & Whistles

[re: Shadoogie] [link to this post]

Try double filtering.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 16:10:55
Print Post

What happens if a normal wired phone is used at the mast test socket with a filter and nothing else?

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sat 04-Mar-17 16:22:31
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Try double filtering.

Thanks - tried double and triple filters - no change
Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sat 04-Mar-17 16:23:50
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
What happens if a normal wired phone is used at the mast test socket with a filter and nothing else?

Thanks - an ordinary phone has no whistle at all with or without the filter(s)
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 16:36:51
Print Post

"Three different DECT phones"

Is that "Three different BASE units" (each with "cordless DECT handsets") connecting to the phone line?
Or
"One BASE unit" with three cordless DECT hand sets?

--------------

I have two working Base units, the older one having three identical handsets designed for it.

The other newer different Base unit has one handset which came with it; and two intermediate age handsets which originally had their own Base Unit.

The newer Base Unit has an Answering Machine facility etc, which works fully with its own single hand set.

Whilst the two intermediate handsets are working on that newer Base Unit for basic facilities; but do not handle the additional AM etc.

Another aspect is that those two handsets do display the incoming numbers (and names) if in their own directories, if one attempts a recall of earlier incoming calls etc, "Not available" appears on their displays.

The newer Base Unit and associated handset were a "blindly-bought" Christmas present, hence the complications and convolutions.

-------------

Whilst experimenting to reach the present configuration, I also had the intermediate Base Unit working.

During that relatively short period, with three Base Units working, I did not observe any untoward whistles etc.

This may or may not have been that in effect, all of the internal PHONE side comes through one VDSL Filter at the ancient Master socket, then each working/employed phone socket around the house also has a VDSL or ADSL Filter as well.

So all the working PHONE connections are double-filtered.

The BB connection is by an Ethernet cable, from the Master Socket VDSL Dangly Filter, "direct" to the EE Brightbox 2 Modem/Router.

Edited by eckiedoo (Sat 04-Mar-17 16:39:31)

Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sat 04-Mar-17 16:43:49
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Thanks - yes 3 different DECT base stations - two have answer machines included in them and one does not.

I don't know if this added fact would help:-

Jan 19th overnight the phone line went dead - by morning it was running again and from then on this whistle/oscillation has existed.
BT say that nothing would have happened overnight and seem unable to track any line incidents that night.
Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sat 04-Mar-17 16:45:58
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Further clarification:-

Only one base unit is connected at any one time. I have simply used three to test the problem and prove the phone is not at fault.

Thanks again
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 16:56:45
Print Post

Have you tried removing all of the ADSL Filters; but leaving all of the Base Units etc connected?

If "Yes"; and "No whistle" and BB works normally etc, then there is no reason for not operating in that manner.

Otherwise re-fitting, one at a time etc?

Similarly with the DECT Base Units?

Although I have not had similar problems on phones etc, I have found that when testing on a convoluted mix such as this, it can be useful to prepare a table of all (?) the combinations that would be needed to thoroughly test, ticking each one off, as I proceed.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Mar-17 17:14:37
Print Post

I think what should have been asked was if you used the same power supply for the three DECT units, or the power supply that came with each. If you just used the one then that could be the problem.

Also is the DECT base connected at the master or at an extension?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to