Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sun 05-Mar-17 08:13:38
Print Post

Re: DECT Phones & ADSL Microfilters & Whistles

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
If you connect both a wired phone and a DECT phone can you hear the whistle using the wired phone, and does it make any difference whether the DECT phone is on or off hook?

What happens if you remove the front of the master socket, but leave the phones as above still plugged in. Can you hear any whistle if the DECT phone is off hook?

PS Google found this.

More and more fascinating - I have just tried your suggestions and this is what happens:-

Wired phone initiate connection first DECT phone on hook - no whistle
DECT phone off hook to join call - no whistle

DECT phone initiate call - wired phone on hook - whistle
Put wired phone off hook - DECT phone still off hook - no whistle
In fact the whistle switches on and off in the DECT phone earpiece as the wired phone is put on hook and off hook repeatedly.
There is no situation where the whistle occurs on he wired phone.

And further test show that with TWO DECT phones attached to the line when one phone is off hook the line whistles - when both DECT phones are off hook whistle stops.

Hmm!

Edited by Shadoogie (Sun 05-Mar-17 08:44:27)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Mar-17 09:23:28
Print Post

[re: Shadoogie] [link to this post]

OK, you say you have had a couple of visits from Openreach, have any of these engineers changed the LIC (the port the voice comes from in the exchange) ? As this would nowbe my first instinct.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Mar-17 11:55:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Shadoogie:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by Shadoogie:
... with six phone sockets “star wired” from the incoming line which has an Openreach master socket on it.
Star wired from the back of the faceplate, or star-wired before the incoming line reaches the master socket?
Star wired after the backplate
LOL

That doesn't answer the question. We don't know which side you are calling "after".

Is the star wiring the exchange side of the test socket, or is it attached to the faceplate that plugs into the test socket? You may not realise it, but this is an extremely important question.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sun 05-Mar-17 14:07:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry not to be clear.

The star wiring is attached to the faceplate - not the exchange side.

Thanks
Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sun 05-Mar-17 14:08:34
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for that suggestion.

I will put it to Openreach on their next visit or phone call.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Mar-17 14:54:58
Print Post

Did you read my google link, especially the first and last pages which describe what looks like the same fault and its fix?

Michael Chare
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Mar-17 15:17:23
Print Post

Looks like your setup, after the line issue, doesn't like cordless phones. It's only a suggestion but as you have 6 extensions can you just buy 4 corded phones and use them?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Mar-17 15:18:44
Print Post

Thanks smile.

Now to what worries me about that. (If the star wiring had been the other side then that is a known disaster setup. But it isn't so we can look at this one).

You say six extensions star-wired off the faceplate. That means terminal 2 has six wires in, terminal 5 also has six wires, and terminal 3 may also have six wires.

Is that really what you have, as I'm fairly sure if it is you will have bad contacts that could cause trouble. Whether it could cause what you are getting I don't know, but others in the thread might.

The more common setup is what is called daisy-chaining, where one extension is connected to the faceplate, (either two or three wires), then the second extension is connected to the first, the third to the second, and so on.

Do you have anything connected to any extensions? If so, what?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sun 05-Mar-17 15:37:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK thanks - now we get into the area where I cannot help much.

The flat is new and was wired by a telecoms company but not BT.
Until last week there was no "Master Socket" at all.
Wire came in from a "comms" building and fed into a surface box on the wall from which it seems all wires leave to all over the flat from a load of punch down connections.
Openreach interrupted the incoming wire to fit the Master Socket last week and from there the feed went back in to the multi wired box.
It is definitely star connected and not wired from socket to socket - same in all these flats here and confirmed a good while ago by a BT engineer I was chatting to. Clearly BT engineers do not like this wiring type but it cannot be changed as this is controlled by retirement company from whom we lease the properties.

All I can say is that up to middle of January this year and for the previous 12 months there has been no issue with the phones at all - so the crazy wiring worked but something has been disturbed beyond this flat to cause this issue. Cable joint accidentally disturbed whilst connecting some one else? I don't know. Could a dodgy joint cause this?

Nothing is connected to any extension sockets - just the Hub5 and phone on one socket with a filter. And even when I separate these there is no difference to the problem - also I can remove the hub completely and still there is a whistle on the line.

Edited by Shadoogie (Sun 05-Mar-17 15:41:17)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 05-Mar-17 15:51:54
Print Post

Sorry, which socket is the hub5 connected to?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to