Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sun 05-Mar-17 15:59:39
Print Post

Re: DECT Phones & ADSL Microfilters & Whistles

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The HUB5 and phone are usually connected to the same socket using an ADSL filter.

But during this testing process different sockets have been used including the Master socket and the Test socket. Also the Hub5 has been removed entirely from the system. The whistle is present no matter what.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Mar-17 16:05:10
Print Post

[re: Shadoogie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Shadoogie:
OK thanks - now we get into the area where I cannot help much.
But in the rest of this post you help a lot smile. Don't under-rate yourself.
The flat is new and was wired by a telecoms company but not BT.
Until last week there was no "Master Socket" at all.
Wire came in from a "comms" building and fed into a surface box on the wall from which it seems all wires leave to all over the flat from a load of punch down connections.
Openreach interrupted the incoming wire to fit the Master Socket last week and from there the feed went back in to the multi wired box.
As the BT engineers say, not ideal, but not likely to cause the problem you have.

I was worried about six wires into each of the relevant connectors on the faceplate.
Cable joint accidentally disturbed whilst connecting some one else? I don't know. Could a dodgy joint cause this?
That I don't know sorry. I was purely worrying about the star wiring, which as I said would have been a severe problem if the exchange side of the test socket, and these little IDC connectors on the faceplate if they had six wires each in.
Nothing is connected to any extension sockets - just the Hub5 and phone on one socket with a filter. And even when I separate these there is no difference to the problem - also I can remove the hub completely and still there is a whistle on the line.
To me that sounds as though Zarjaz's contribution stands a chance of being the next step. Though a couple of thoughts:

1) Are you always using the same phone wire to connect between the phone bases and the master or test socket? If so, try a different one.

2) (This one is unlikely but I want to rule it out). Are you also using a plug-in phone extension cable to reach the master, instead of just a standard short wire?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 05-Mar-17 16:06:57
Print Post

I can't see the reason for the master socket. Why was it fitted?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sun 05-Mar-17 16:11:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I can't see the reason for the master socket. Why was it fitted?

Well it lets me access the BT line directly removing connection to all the other sockets in the flat.

But 'twas not my idea - the phone engineer decided to do it.

Thanks
Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sun 05-Mar-17 16:16:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

To me that sounds as though Zarjaz's contribution stands a chance of being the next step. Though a couple of thoughts:

1) Are you always using the same phone wire to connect between the phone bases and the master or test socket? If so, try a different one.

2) (This one is unlikely but I want to rule it out). Are you also using a plug-in phone extension cable to reach the master, instead of just a standard short wire?

1 ) No - I have used now four different DECT phones (used another today!) each with its own telephone connection wire and power supply.
2) I connected the DECT base unit directly to the test socket no extension wires involved.

Thanks

One query how do you get an engineer to listen to the idea that Zarjaz has suggetsed? !!
Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sun 05-Mar-17 16:25:00
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Did you read my google link, especially the first and last pages which describe what looks like the same fault and its fix?

So sorry missed this completely.
Have now read it - funnily enough I had seen this posting from 2010 before i joined this forum.
Trouble is it is not clear how BT actually fixed their problem. A lot of gear seems to have been changed at the exchange - I willpoint the next engineer I see at this post.

Many thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 05-Mar-17 16:44:32
Print Post

sorry if you already tried this but if you remove the faceplate on the master and connect the dsl filter to the test socket and the modem and the dect base to the filter, what happens?
Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sun 05-Mar-17 16:50:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
sorry if you already tried this but if you remove the faceplate on the master and connect the dsl filter to the test socket and the modem and the dect base to the filter, what happens?

Thanks and yes as stated in the thread this has been tried and the results exactly the same.

So in my limited grasp of things I have ruled out all the wiring in the flat - and the presence or not of the Hub on the line.

The whistle is there - if I attach another DECT phone base or a wired phone and put off hook the whistle stops - like needing two phones on the line to stop whistle.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Mar-17 20:20:56
Print Post

See if your voice provider will raise a fault, noisy maybe, when the engineer attends demonstrate the noise, then suggest if the PQ test is OK that it might be the LIC, or maybe check if the TAMS (if on the circuit) ties are recently moved on to the 'new style' blocks ? These are proving problematic in some exchanges. If not, try a LIC change, may be able to replicate the noise by by putting an artificial load on the line, cobble together a couple reels of exchange jumper and stick an NTE on there to test again.

Good luck.

Edited by Zarjaz (Sun 05-Mar-17 21:40:02)

Standard User Shadoogie
(newbie) Sun 05-Mar-17 21:10:35
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
See if your voice provider will raise a fault, noisy maybe, when the engineer attends demonstrate the noise, then suggest if the PQ test is OK that it might be the LIC, or maybe check if the TAMS (if on the circuit) ties are recently moved on to the 'new style' blocks ? These are proving problematic in some exchanges. If not, try a LIC change, may be able to replicate the noise by by putting an artificial load on the line, cobble together a couple reels of exchange jumper and stink an NTE on there to test again.

Good luck.

Many thanks - I will do that and I will report back any progress.

Thanks to all - very inspiring.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to