Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ricardoespsanto
(newbie) Mon 06-Mar-17 16:12:49
Print Post

Improve slow adsl

[link to this post]

Hi all,

This is not my field of expertise and since there no fiber available where I live in always wondering if there's anything to improve my ADSL.

I've found this box downstairs and was wondering if anyone can make a comment regarding the status/room for improvement: https://ibb.co/bBHb5a

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 06-Mar-17 16:18:33
Print Post

Re: Improve slow adsl

[re: Ricardoespsanto] [link to this post]

I wouldn't touch that
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Mar-17 16:31:41
Print Post

We need a lot more context than that. Is this a business? What stats are showing for the broadband? Are there any extension sockets of the main phone point? What does the main phone point look like?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 06-Mar-17 16:45:56
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

So this is all residential, our flat has 2 phone sockets a plain old nts5 with a microfilter and a router/modern attached to it and an extension on the same room again filtered and with a phone plugged into it.

I'm getting just under 9mbits/s and our exchange is this one: https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/CLBER which is probably less than a mile away on a straight line.

I'm not sure I understand your question but am happy to post more photos/screenshots etc.

Thanks again
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 06-Mar-17 16:55:58
Print Post

Start with telling us the make and model of the modem/router please smile. Then someone may be able to tell you how to find the line stats. Basically we are looking for information like

Upstream rate = 14193 Kbps, Downstream rate = 65258 Kbps

Down Up
SNR (dB): 6.2 6.2
Attn(dB): 19.0 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 13.7 7.4

Those tell us what can be expected from your line at the moment, as opposed to what you are getting and what might be possible with help that with luck will come later. Forgive the high speeds, I'm on FTTC.

Which ISP and product are you on as well please? This can be relevant.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(newbie) Mon 06-Mar-17 17:04:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My current provider is origin broadband and I've got their basic ADSL package. I had the same sort of speeds with sky from which I left last month.

My router is an Asus dsl-n16 n300 and here are my stats :

https://ibb.co/hJbm5a
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Mar-17 19:18:50
Print Post

41.2dB attenuation suggests either aluminium in the line or you are more than 1 mile line length

41dB is around the 3km of copper cable distance

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG...

Gives an option of 'slightly low' and a range of 7250 Kbps to 11000 Kbps is to be expected.

A 6dB target margin would increase your speeds if the line is stable to around 9600 Kbps

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 06-Mar-17 19:19:06
Print Post

what does www.dslchecker.bt.com estimate for your line?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Mar-17 20:27:02
Print Post

I would guess that picture shows the guts for an entry phone system, or maybe an alarm system.

Put the lid back on and walk away.

(newbie) Mon 06-Mar-17 21:31:25
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

It is the box of the entry lines to our flats but it looks rather messy and I wondered if there were any unused connections there that I could perhaps use to improve my connection.

dslchecker.bt.com estimated WBC adsl 2+ at 8 to 19.5 and the same with annex M (which weirdly my router seems not to like - it won't connect unless its A)

Regarding the SNR the router / modem has this feature of dynamically adjust that for me (not sure its doing a great job thou)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to