Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Mar-17 12:53:45
Print Post

VDSL userid and password encryption?

[link to this post]

If you use a separate modem and router for a VDSL connection, are the userid and password encrypted when they are sent from the router to the modem?

Or could they be sniffed?

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 09-Mar-17 13:36:12
Print Post

Re: VDSL userid and password encryption?

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

A modem has nothing to do with encryption. It's merely turning digital signals into analogue and vice versa.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 09-Mar-17 15:23:21
Print Post

Wireshark is the usual method of obtaining your Sky username and password by sniffing what is sent by the router and they are obviously in the clear.

Edited by BatBoy (Thu 09-Mar-17 15:27:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Mar-17 16:33:25
Print Post

How you authenticate depends on your ISP. Many ISPs use Challenge-Handshake Authentication Protocol (CHAP) which provides some security.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 09-Mar-17 16:38:53
Print Post

Of course for residential BT Broadband the username and password are the same for everyone
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Mar-17 16:55:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
If you use a separate modem and router for a VDSL connection, are the userid and password encrypted when they are sent from the router to the modem?

Or could they be sniffed?
Some ISPs have no username / password, or a generic one. Examples include talktalk and BT, here it is irrelevant.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Mar-17 17:09:32
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Wireshark is the usual method of obtaining your Sky username and password by sniffing what is sent by the router and they are obviously in the clear.
I was wondering if I could do the same on Vodafone. Though I don't know if the router can be configured to work with a separate modem.

Michael Chare
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Mar-17 17:32:30
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
How you authenticate depends on your ISP. Many ISPs use Challenge-Handshake Authentication Protocol (CHAP) which provides some security.

As I recall BT Wholesale mandate CHAP. No idea what Vodafone use. In theory as they aren't using a wholesale provider, but are one themselves they have no need to use anything.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Mar-17 17:35:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Even what's before the @ doesn't matter either, as long as @btbroadband.com is how it ends.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 09-Mar-17 18:52:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I was wondering if I could do the same on Vodafone. Though I don't know if the router can be configured to work with a separate modem.
It works with the combined Sky modem/router
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Mar-17 20:36:36
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
As I recall BT Wholesale mandate CHAP. No idea what Vodafone use. In theory as they aren't using a wholesale provider, but are one themselves they have no need to use anything.

Vodafone do their best to stop their VDSL customers using their own equipment by refusing to tell them their connection userid and passwords. So if their combined router modem can be configured to work with a separate modem their is a chance that the details could be obtained by sniffing the router-modem connection. But they may well be encrypted frown

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to