Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User calopez
(newbie) Fri 24-Mar-17 16:21:04
Print Post

Re: Poor Quality Extension Wiring Affecting Fibre Speeds?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well I certainly try to avoid restarting the hub! But when the connection is unusably slow, what else can I do?
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Mar-17 16:31:01
Print Post

[re: calopez] [link to this post]

Difficult to say - I note that most of the HH5 figures are either identical or commensurate, except for the Noise Margin.

I wonder why that is?

Subject to any conditions, I suggest that you do get the Plusnet Hub, as it gives you a replacement to compare performances; and also if it continues, you can pursue Plusnet more readily.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Mar-17 16:38:37
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Sync'ed at a different time, possibly daytime rather than night-time. Quite normal/expected with a fixed actual sync.

Lower noise = higher attainable. Actual capped below Attainable >> higher noise margin.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Mar-17 16:40:30
Print Post

Can you drop the PPP session in the Hub GUI? That is the way.

That breaks the connection to the ISP, enabling a different routing to a less congested one (you hope) when you reconnect PPP. It doesn't break the DSL connection.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User calopez
(newbie) Fri 24-Mar-17 17:27:03
Print Post

In My Home Hub - My Services, against 'Internet', there's a 'disconnect' button. Would that be it?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Mar-17 17:55:16
Print Post

Probably. In fact almost certainly. Next time you have very slow just try it instead of rebooting. Leave it disconnected for a couple of minutes or so.

The other thing that may be worth trying at some stage is a Factory Reset of the router. Unless you have any settings of your own then that can sometimes clear problems. Do you know how to do those?

If you don't, you do it while it is connected, though you could disconnect the PPP. There should be a tiny hole somewhere marked Reset, with a microswitch inside. You press that gently but firmly for 7-10 seconds with an opened-up paperclip, until the lights go out or start flashing. It then reboots after a while and sometimes works wonders.

It needs doing before anyone can be sure it is faulty, rather than just congestion on the network.

Standard User calopez
(newbie) Fri 24-Mar-17 18:38:55
Print Post

Thanks - I'll try that next time it goes really slow (though I keep hoping there won't be a next time!)

I did do a factory reset a couple of weeks ago - didn't seem to have much effect. But I suppose there wouldn't be much harm in trying again sometime, although I want to avoid disconnects of possible.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Mar-17 20:18:21
Print Post

Probably no need to do another factory reset for the current problem. It's a very rarely needed action. Such as after severe thunderstorms while the router is on, or a piece of equipment going wild.

Standard User calopez
(newbie) Fri 24-Mar-17 23:27:51
Print Post

Alas, after yet another slowdown - the tbb speed test wouldn't even load, and its 512Mb test file was going to take over 8 hours to download - I tried disconnecting and reconnecting in the hub GUI. Unfortunately, no joy: it made no difference whatsoever to the speed.

The only thing that worked was restarting the hub. Speed is now back to around 49Mbps.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 25-Mar-17 00:02:51
Print Post

I reckon you need a replacement hub..

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 25-Mar-17 00:03:15)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to