Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bardern88
(newbie) Sun 09-Apr-17 10:19:01
Print Post

Broadband not working until external call made

[link to this post]

Hi, wonder if any experts can help? My mothers broadband keeps dropping off and not working, strangely if she makes an external phone call it starts to work again and makes a broadband connection. This can last for anything from a couple of mins to the rest of the day.

She's had a new router and filter supplied and the same issue occurs. Any suggestions? Assume it has to be the box coming into the house or something to do with the line?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 09-Apr-17 11:58:08
Print Post

Re: Broadband not working until external call made

[re: Bardern88] [link to this post]

Most likely a joint or crack in cable and the extra current from the call is enough to clear oxidisation and allow broadband to work again.

Needs provider to get someone out to look at the state of the line

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Apr-17 12:27:57
Print Post

[re: Bardern88] [link to this post]

As MrSaffron says, but worth checking there is no damp at the back of the master socket. And/or the socket she is using.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63790/13596Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Apr-17 15:57:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If the OP is testing into the master socket, extensions disconnected, then yes I agree.

Using the line to force sync is the lesser known symptom of an HR fault.

Print Thread

Jump to