Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SWS
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 12:40:14
Print Post

VDSL wrong profile issue?

[link to this post]

Hi, I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction to get my slow VDSL broadband connection issue resolved, or tell me that this is the best speeds I can get and stop harassing my ISP.

I've had this issue for years, had engineer visits (see # below), switched routers, filters, test sockets, disconnected phones etc... yet the problem still exists. I suspect that I'm on a 40/10 profile and not the 80/20 I should be on. Having to call my ISP and deal with BT sucks my will to live. They both feel like they are feeding me bullsh1t and I dont know enough to call them out on it.

Originally when I switched to FTTC I was getting 68.6 Down and 17.4 Up. At some point this speed reduced to around 30 Down and 6 Up. I reported the issue to my then ISP Plusnet (Force9) but, with the customer service and other issues I got nowhere. I concluded I needed to switch ISP and so moved to Zen who estimated "Your line will typically support up to 57.2Mbps download (Min. 40.0Mbps and Max. 76.3Mbps), 19.0Mbps upload".

I never achieved these speeds and whilst I did see a small improvement it looked like I was still on the 40/10 product. Calls to Zen tech support are somewhat disappointing but at least they'll send out a BT engineer with a bit of arm twisting.

#The last BT engineer I had visit revealed something interesting. I requested that the engineer pull my line (disconnecting my phone and BB) and test the line at the cabinet. He did this and concluded that there was something wrong with my socket and sync was 40/10...... Yay! progress... He called some BT openreach support desk? and was on the phone for over an hour (mainly on hold) and came back and said they'ed reset the sync and needed to wait 10 mins. 10 mins came and went and there was no change in sync, my speeds remained about the same (36.7D 9.2U). He called the BT openreach support desk? This time he was on the phone for 5 mins tops and concluded there must be aluminium in the line and this is the speed my line can support and thats the end of it. I had the impression I was being fobbed off.

I tea'ed and biscuit'ed my BT engineer, maybe they weren't our top tier chocolate biscuits but they were still chocolate biscuits. I wont make that mistake again.

I'll post some router stats etc in a reply you'll find below (dont want this post to be too big)

I just need to know if I should pursue this issue and if so how OR This is my speed. the issue is my line, stop calling the ISP.

Regards

Big Rick
Standard User SWS
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 12:50:59
Print Post

Re: VDSL wrong profile issue?

[re: SWS] [link to this post]

Draytek router 2850 info

VDSL Information (VDSL Firmware Version: 1414c3 )

Profile State UP Speed Down Speed SNR Upstream SNR Downstream
17a Showtime 9903 (Kbps) 39817 (Kbps) 50 (0.1dB) 58 (0.1dB)

Server Information (Broadcom v10.09.12 )

VDSL
Link Status Showtime
Firmware Version 1414c3
Basic Status Upstream Downstream Unit
VDSL Profile 17a
Actual Data Rate 9903 39817 Kb/s
SNR 51 58 0.1dB
Advance Status Upstream Downstream Unit
Actual delay 0 8 ms
Actual INP 0 30 0.1 symbols
Actual INP 0 30 0.1 symbols
15M CV 2 0 counter
1Day CV 175 2 counter
15M FEC 6 7 counter
1Day FEC 590 34917 counter
Total FEC 87210 578840 counter
Previous Data Rate 9501 39668 Kbps
Attainable Rate 9676 39817 Kbps
Electrical Length 127 127 0.1 dB
SNR Margin 53 53 (US0,--) 0.1 dB
SNR Margin 51 58 (US1,DS1) 0.1 dB
SNR Margin 51 58 (US2,DS2) 0.1 dB
SNR Margin N/A 58 (US3,DS3) 0.1 dB
SNR Margin N/A N/A (US4,DS4) 0.1 dB
15M Elapsed time 752 752 secs
15M FECS 4 1 counter
15M ES 2 0 counter
15M SES 0 0 counter
15M LOSS 0 0 counter
15M UAS 0 0 counter
1Day Elapsed time 79952 79952 secs
1Day FECS 382 390 counter
1Day ES 159 1 counter
1Day SES 0 0 counter
1Day LOSS 0 0 counter
1Day UAS 0 0 counter
Total FECS 52132 5513 counter
Total ES 18402 45 counter
Total SES 4 18 counter
Total LOSS 0 0 counter
Total UAS 36820 236 counter

===============================================================

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER (dslchecker.bt.com)

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 76.2 56.3 20 19 49.8 Available -- Yes Yes --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 67.6 40 20 11.2 35 Available -- Yes Yes --
Featured Products

============================================================

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/)

Download speedachieved during the test was - 37.41 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 26.98 Mbps-38.54 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.54 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 7.03Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

==================================================================
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-May-17 12:52:34
Print Post

If line is capped by a 40/10 product, then you'd expect full sync and solid 37 Mbps speed tests, so when you were getting 30 down and 6 up this suggests that something else underlying has gone on.

Remember 80/20 is just an uncapped 40/10 so if the line performance has degraded due to cross talk then then you might get what you have.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 09-May-17 13:07:04
Print Post

According to Draytek
DrayTek's very earliest VDSL2 products (The Vigor 2850 and 2750, sold until 2013) are not upgradable to SIN498 compliance as the chipsets do not have the capability to support some of the new requirements. For those users, if you wish to upgrade to a compliant model, we have provided an upgrade scheme here.
Your router doesn't support G.INP which would probably improve your sync speed.
Standard User SWS
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 13:19:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply....

The upgrade from 30 to 37 was following last engineer visit. Also noticed that that the wholesale performance test IP Profile went from 40/10 to 38/20

Would cross talk have increased as people moved from ADSL to VDSL?

My next door neighbour is getting around 56MB down. Houses are 20yrs old suspect cable runs are the same.

*Edit: Some hoses maybe 20 yrs old but these ones arent

Edited by SWS (Tue 09-May-17 13:41:57)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-May-17 13:23:28
Print Post

Attainable rate is NOT capped by the product used, and thus suggests your line is running to the best of its current abilities.

G.INP as mentioned could give you a speed boost, were you using a different device before perhaps?

Crosstalk can potentially count for the speed drops and its not even in how it behaves, if using power line devices at home then worth unplugging them to check its not those causing an issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-May-17 13:24:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by SWS:
I tea'ed and biscuit'ed my BT engineer, maybe they weren't our top tier chocolate biscuits but they were still chocolate biscuits. I wont make that mistake again.

That made me chuckle smile

------------------------------------------
Fluidone FTTPoD 330/30...well almost smile