Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dethadol
(regular) Fri 12-May-17 14:16:04
Print Post

Mark4 faceplate query

[link to this post]

I recently moved to VDSL and the Openreach guy replaced my old master socet with a new NTE 5C socket. I have now bought a new Mark4 faceplate to use with this socket. As I understand it neither of the sockets on the front of the faceplate need additional filters. However I plan to use the red cam lock terminals on the rear of the face plate for an extension to my router. I do not know if this extension will require a filter or not, I suspect not as it will only be used for data, can anyone tell me if this is correct please.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-May-17 14:27:02
Print Post

Re: Mark4 faceplate query

[re: dethadol] [link to this post]

Filters are only needed for telephone equipment not for routers. So, in this instance no filter would be needed on the data extension.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-May-17 14:49:16
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Well, to be more precise, which could be important in the future for the OP or any other reader, all equipment other than modems and modem/routers need filters.

The extension socket would also preferably have a DSL socket not a phone one.

If the OP might wish to use a phone on this extension in the future, fitting a filtered faceplate such as the XTF-68/85 or equivalent might be a neatness idea.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-May-17 14:54:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

By telephone equipment I possibly should have said telephony. So, faxes, alarms that use analogue telephone signals, phones themselves, analogue modems (as opposed to the digital modems you are talking about), etc.
Standard User dethadol
(regular) Fri 12-May-17 15:24:19
Print Post

Mant thanks, I'll get wiring.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-May-17 17:55:02
Print Post

To understand the circuits more fully, the xDSL route through all of those "Splitter/Filter" devices/dongles is "Straight-Through", no filters or such like; and that xDSL route also has all the other phone system signals such as speech on them as well.

It is only the Phone route that has filters, to prevent the xDSL signals going to any "phone" equipment.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-May-17 11:32:57
Print Post

Your assumption is correct.

Print Thread

Jump to