Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-May-17 11:05:09
Print Post

Re: Slow broadband - incoming line wired directly to facepla

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Two blues into 2 or 5, and their white-blues into the other, two oranges into 3. The terminal block was on the right of the pic, with three connectors but I don't know whether 2 or 5 would be at the top, nor which colour was at the top. I think it was the blues.

Loads of other cores wrapped round the white outers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-May-17 11:07:37
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Odd that. I wonder if the OP deleted it having realised he also provided a number of family photos?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-May-17 11:41:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Two blues into 2 or 5, and their white-blues into the other, two oranges into 3. The terminal block was on the right of the pic, with three connectors but I don't know whether 2 or 5 would be at the top, nor which colour was at the top. I think it was the blues.

Loads of other cores wrapped round the white outers.

Sounds like a plausible wiring system to me with the white as the A leg.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-May-17 13:13:30
Print Post

So if there is an external junction box the bell wire wont actually be live? Perhaps stick an old phone into the phone socket and see if it rings?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-May-17 14:42:09
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

It isn't the 'it being live' that is an issue, it is that 5 and 3 make a ringing circuit, so in terms of the DSL signal one leg is twice as long as the other, creating an imbalance.

[not well explained, but I knew what I meant]

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-May-17 15:21:19
Print Post

Surely only if there is a master elsewhere in the circuit? Or more precisely, if the incoming Openreach cable is connected to something other than this one? The incoming OR cable surely doesn't have these colours and construction? Or can it, and I have got it wrong?

If I'm right, then there must be at least three "sockets" in total, one of which may be an external NTE or the original NTE5A. The two sets of blue+blue/white, one of which could be the real NTE.

My theory ended up as there being an external NTE with the two cables we see being one from that and one to the extension.

But I have a feeling we have heard the last of the OP anyway.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-May-17 15:36:23
Print Post

Actually very well explained smile

I was just considering a simple way, in simple terms, of testing what's going on with that NTE and the bell wires - obviously you have seen NTE's wired up in such a way before but can we rule out the possibility that this NTE has simply been utilized as an extension socket, i.e. terminals on the back not used, and there is an actual NTE elsewhere on the property?

Edited by 4M2 (Sun 14-May-17 15:44:57)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-May-17 16:01:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Surely only if there is a master elsewhere in the circuit? Or more precisely, if the incoming Openreach cable is connected to something other than this one? The incoming OR cable surely doesn't have these colours and construction? Or can it, and I have got it wrong?

From an external junction box I've definitely got black cw1308 terminated on the back of the NTE5 - the cable comes directly through the wall to the back of the NTE5. If there was an internal run of more than a few feet then perhaps one would see white cw1308...
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-May-17 16:40:17
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Without having access to the kit in my bag o' tricks, the easiest option would be a noting of line stats as is, then an establishing of which pair carries dial tone, terminate that on the rear and look at stats again looking for improvements in ant and max attainable.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-May-17 16:43:17
Print Post

Yep Bob, I understand your take on things too.

With no further input from the OP, I guess we'll never know.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to