Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-May-17 16:43:29
Print Post

Re: Slow broadband - incoming line wired directly to facepla

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Seems to be working...

but another copy of it.

http://scrn.at/fOlgo.png

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-May-17 16:46:16
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In many cases cabling in new builds is hidden in wall voids, so cable sheathing colour is immaterial.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-May-17 16:49:18
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Thanks Uno. smile

So looking again I can see the blue bands on the white wire.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-May-17 16:52:14
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Indeed it is working, Matt. Thanks for the heads-up smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Taziir1
(newbie) Sat 27-May-17 00:07:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi all,
Many thanks for your input and my apologies for the silence, I tend to travel a lot for work and don't get much time here.

In response to some of the questions earlier:

Banger - telephone provider?
* Origin Broadband ADSL 2 I assume, as I saw the line sync speed regrade several times in the first few days.
Apparently the property is linked to an FTTC exchange, which is oversubscribed and not accepting new orders...

Zarjaz - Will Origin not raise an SFI fault for Openreach to attend ?
* Based on the other responses, I'm still not clear whether the wiring is considered mine or belonging to Openreach and am nervous about poking around where I'm not 100% clear if it's my responsibility

RobertoS - External NTE?
*On the Outside wall a few feet away from the supposed master socket there is this box - is this an extnernal NTE?:

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac38/taziir/IMG_0...

I couldn't locate any other sockets inside the property that could be a master socket, although I did find an additional extension socket on the top floor. There is no overhead cabling in the estate so I'm positive I've already been dealing with the 1st socket inside the property

Regarding the orange middle cable, would this be as simple as carefully removing the twined orange cables, separating the two and then replace one at a time and checking the line stats (making sure not to touch the blue and blue/white)? Or can the orange cables be simply removed and not reconnected?

For additional info, these are the line stats reported by the router at the moment:
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac38/taziir/DSL-S...
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-May-17 07:13:56
Print Post

[re: Taziir1] [link to this post]

The pictured external box is a BT66 just housing the junction between the UG feed and the lead in cable to your property.

I honestly think you should get Origin to raise an SFI, get someone out who can sort things out and provide a true NTE. I do not believe Origin could pass any charges to you because there is no demarcation point within your property.

Failing that, pull all the bell wires and don't reconnect them.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 27-May-17 09:40:30
Print Post

The orange cables are the bellwire Zarjaz refers to. Normally they need to be removed from the master socket faceplate, but we don't know where that is or even if there is one.

I am saying to separate them because if one of them does continue to a true master then at least the overall length will be reduced. It is at the master it does most damage. It acts like a radio aerial, so the shorter the better in this case.

Do not reattach either of them. Do the same at every socket you can find.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63018/13016Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 27-May-17 09:41:14)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-May-17 11:25:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The orange cables are the bellwire Zarjaz refers to.

Yep, sorry .... should have said.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-May-17 12:46:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Taziir1:
On the Outside wall a few feet away from the supposed master socket there is this box

Very likely that the NTE has been incorrectly installed - should be a simple job for an OR engineer to rewire and get the test socket working at no cost to yourself.

Please be extremely careful when manipulating the faceplate if you decide to remove the orange bell wires and not cause the other wires to become detached or broken since I suspect a pair of them are a feed from the external junction box.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to